Pod Your Reef

kalkwasser Question

Diskusting

So I just started my first nano, a 5.5, and ive been reading about dripping limewater for your topoff. The article that I read that explained it to me was adressing a 55 gallon tank. And to Drip 5 gallons of topoff you needed to do it over 48 Hour time period. Seems like a huge hassle, not to mention how much slower I would need to drip for a damn 5.5 gallon. So are there any alternatives besides a calcium reactor. Like can you just add the supplents of calcium and alk with lets say:

AquaC_Complete200512.jpg

Or do those not have the same effects and have do you have to add those slow also. So basically what I am asking is there any Easy way to Drip, or Replenish these vitals for a nano?

I used to do it with a 1 gallon jug hanging above my tank dripping with an iv line. like so

Before

409333843_6362272c4d.jpg

After

469130457_2f080f6775.jpg

This is a 1/4 fitting with quick release with 1/4 line like you would use with an RO/DI system or to run water to your refrigerator. The Jug that has the kalkwasser solution in it is a Rubbermade 2gallon for putting in the fridge to hold juice or whatever. it's longer than it is tall if you want I can post a picture of it. You can get the thing at Walmart.

469130453_79e68dace5.jpg

This is where the limewater enters the sump which also does the auto topoff. My float valve is a kent float valve.

Doubt this helps but I just like posting pics :D Don't know if you have a mini sump/refugium connected to the 5 gallon, it's just how I do kalkwasser now.

nah mainly Shrooms, Zoos, and some lsp's But I would like to have alot of coraline.

It'll grow without additional supplementation, trust me. But, if you really wanted to do it, I would opt for an auto-topoff system and just add your kalkwasser to that. An ATO is something you should be considering for a 5.5 gallon anyway since it'll keep your salinity spot on no matter how much your water evaporates.

I use kalk as a maintainer for calc/alk, 1 drop per 45 secs for 15g. And I'm having trouble maintaining drip rate since the dipper keeps on sealing itself every couple days (b/c of the calcium carbonate precipitate deposits when it's dangling in the air).

You might be better off using the 2 parters and saving yourself the trouble of having to constantly tweeking drip rate.

Archived