Cultivated Reef

Filter(s)

keen1098

Greetings!

My name is Keenan and I am brand new to nano-reefs. I currently have an 18 gallan hex with freshwater fish in it, which has been running since 2nd grade. I also have a 50 gallon tank which isnt in operation, but it has all of the pieces. I have never run a salt water tank, and nano reefs seem like a good start, and I like the size of them. I am thinking about starting with a 6,7.5, or 10 gallon tank.

My question is: I am currently working on deciding which filter I will use. My two current choices are the Whisper Model J and the Aquaclear Mini. I would appeciate all suggestions, opinions ect.

Also, on nano-reef.com i saw someone using an Aquaclear filter (150gph)as a refugarium, and am wondering if anyone is farmiliar with this.

Thank you,

Keenan

The filters are mainly used for additional circulation, with the filter bag removed. I have an aquaclear mini that is fitted with a iceprobe turning the filter into a chiller. I have had very little problems with the aquaclear so that would be my recommendation.

Welcome aboard.

audandash

as long as you have plenty of live rock you dont need much as far as filters go. get a powerhead or 2 and an hob if you have one laying around. just make sure you have good circulation

Archived