ReefCleaners.org

JBJ pico refugium ideas

chrishei

So Im in the planning phase of my pico and I would love to get an idea for a refugium that wouldnt require any drilling and could be kept directly behind the tank. Ive thought about an Hob mod like on an ac70 or like filter but Im just wondering if anything else could be done. Would the bigger hob filters put out to much flow? could a 2.5 aga work and how would you plumb it without drilling or risking overflowing the main tank. I know there are tons of ideas out there so lets hear them ;)

I was'nt sure if I should post in pico or refugium forums but since this is where the pico's are at.

Here is my 2.5-gallon with a AC50 on the back, a fair amount of photos:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=115861

The flow on the AC's is dictated by the size of the impeller that snaps on the one-size-fits-all motor they include. The AC50 seems to be the perfect size. I have AC70's on my 10-gallon and they might be too big for my tastes, mainly due to the huge uptake tube they have.

Thanks for the post smq. Im wondering how hard it would be to make an acrylic refugium like the ones cpr has. It doesnt seem like to much trouble maybe 11"wx10"hx5". It could be made to sit flush behind the pico and be self supported. would just need some plumbing just like the cpr modles without all the cost. I also found this on ebay but its just an inch oversized on the width and too tall.

http://cgi.ebay.com/PRO12-Refugium-hang-on...1QQcmdZViewItem

Let me know what you guys think.

Heres my plans thus far. Theres a local plastics company here in vegas quoted me 35 bucks for making this for me with 1/4 cast acrylic. I looked at lowes and it would cost me more than that with the cost of supplies alone.

refugium.jpg

Archived