SaltCritters.com

First attempt at nano - 5.5 in early stages

Paramedic

Hi folks,

Here's my first humble attempt at a nano. I posted some questions in the beginner's forum. Also, this tank is only started, the LS and half the LR along with a few hermits to cycle. Any comments or suggestions are welcome. (Along with any attempts to answer my questions in the beginner's forum)

This photo is of the bare tank/hood.

Stats:

5.5 AGA

200GPH micro powerhead (circulation) throttled down to about 50%

100W Visitherm heater

Aqua Clear 250 HOB filter

plexiglass top (partially open)

Homemade (OK, not that fancy) plywood hood

13W CF with 10000K

13W CF with Blue Actinic

Dig Thermometer

6lb LS, 6lb LR (Tonga) from LFS (actually looks good for that venue)

3 blue legged hermits

The hermits. (Also shows off quality of the LS which I really like!, not so overjoyed about the LR, but it's a start) This is with the lighting turned on

tank looks nice, hood looks original and well made. One suggestion though i think you could do with a smaller heater a 50w woule be fine. Your tank would have more space.

Smokin-Reefer

Yea, I would also suggest only a 50w heater.

the rock looks really good, get a small peice with corraline on it, as stated above, and it should take off!

Paramedic

OK, here's a few updated pics. I picked up a pair of peppermint shrimp and a green brittle star. Heard/read the horror stories and will plan to find a different home for it in a little while. For now, the third picture should show that I'm not particularly worried about the shrimp for now (actually, I'm more worried about the star getting food!)

Any other comments appreciated. I'm working on getting a smaller heater soon.

Paramedic

I believe the purple stuff to be coralline, please correct me if I'm wrong. This is more than when I first started :D

Paramedic

Any help identifying the pale green (almost stalagmite like) growth on the rock in the upper left?? Sorry, n00b showing :) Anyhow, here are a few of the hermits

Archived