Pod Your Reef

New 5 gal cycling - Request tips

Paramedic

Hi all,

Been hanging around here for quite a while and reading. Not always on my home comp and logged in though.

Anyhow, I just set up my 5 gal after some deep research and am rather pleased with the results. Not excatly better reefs and gardens, but not too bad for a first attempt IMHO :D

Here's the stats

5.5 AGA

200GPH micro powerhead (circulation) throttled down to about 50%

100W Visitherm heater

Aqua Clear 250 HOB filter

plexiglass top (partially open)

Homemade (OK, not that fancy) plywood hood

13W CF with 10000K

13W CF with Blue Actinic

Dig Thermometer

6lb LS, 6lb LR (Tonga) from LFS (actually looks good for that venue)

3 blue legged hermits

Pics in members' reefs forum

OK, my questions now. ???

First off. The LR is a little bland. I'm going to run this for about 10 days or so to cycle and will monitor very closely during that time. Once that passes and levels neutralize, I'd like to add some more colorful rock. I don't have an unlimited budget, but I do have a few bucks to spend on the nano (100-200?) for some more colorful LR. Can you recommend a few colorful LR selections that are rather hardy for a beginner?

Also, I'm planning on adding about 3-4 more blue legged hermits, a peppermint shrimp and a brittle star. Also probably a few snails. Any particular suggestions/comments?

Finally after a few weeks with that clean up crew, I'm looking at adding a false clown (or something similar) Probably just a single fish (or maybe two small ones) I don't have a larger aquarium to transfer to after time, so that guy (gal) will have to tough it out in the nano.

Any other particular things I should watch for/look for?

Salinity was 1.023 consistent for 2 weeks of run time prior to adding LR/LS and temp remains within a 1.2 degree range (was too warm at about 80 degrees, changed to range of 77.2-78.4)

Thanks much for your comments.

Paramedic

On the live rock front, it is all the same, i mean you dont really have to take care of more colorfull stuff, some of that color it just coraline(sp?) that is the purple, pink and green colors you see on alot of rocks. To get this stuff growing all you need is a little bit, so you dont have to buy lots more rock, just find a small peice with it and then you can scrape some off of the rock with a razor blade in to the water and that should get it going. Also it needs calcium to grow. Once everything is going well get some corals, look for a society in your area, look over at reefcentral.com for a local one and maybe some people in your area can help you out getting started with some coraline coverd rubble or some frags. Hope this helps

C. Jerome

PS: I just got the results from my EMT-B exam this morning, I passed, watch out NY here i come.

just a quickee, how do you convert degrees celcius into degrees farhenhight. Have you got a formula or website.

help apprecaited Simon

Thanks for the tips C Jerome. I've been in EMS for 12 years and now work as an Assistant Professor at the college in town as well as a medical supervisor with the FD. Very satisfying work. Congrats on your results and I wish you the best in your career.

R*Frost, the conversion is:

C to F

C * 9/5 + 32 = F

F to C

(F - 32) * 5/9 = C

Or, here's a link to a site for quick conversions

http://www.onlineconversion.com/temperature.htm

Archived