Top Shelf Aquatics

Kinda Lame Question - Adhesive Thermometers

ocellaris

Hello,

This may seem like a lame question, but I would like to know how many of you use those ahesive thermometers on your acrylic tanks.. and what your thoughts were on them. I've used them on glass tanks before and they seem to work relatively well. However, acrylic may have some more insulating qualities as opposed to glass. Having a small 3g nano, I want to keep as many things out of the tank as possible to maximize volume and clutter.

Thanks for any input - ML

i use them too. they're pretty good to give you a quick reading but i always have multiple thermometers (at least one of which is a floating hydrometer)

www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?siteid=6&pCatId=4942

for your E3 (assuming it's the eclipse) you may not have the room tho. i would plop one of those glass thermos onto the filter chamber and let the water run over it as much as possible (submerged being best obviously). that way you can just lift the housing/hood and check. i would still get a stick-on thermo just for quick readings tho. jmo

tinyreef,

Do the temperature readings vary greatly between your stick-on thermometer and your other thermometers?

Thanks - ML

sometimes no, sometimes yes. i think it's sometimes affected by each particular room's ambient temp. i don't know if it works but i've put invisible tape over the stick-on thermo to act as an insulation. (probably doesn't work but it makes me feel better :P )

i usually place them at different heights in decent water currents (behind them). if they're different i take the average (i.e. for bigger tanks). you shouldn't have much if any variation in a nano unless they're under the lights or too near the heater or fan.

• 1 month later...

Archived