Innovative Marine Aquariums

lighting for a 45 gallon ?

justplainnuts

justplainnuts

Will be setting up a 45 gallon soon and was wondering what would be the most cost effective lighting for corals. I want to have a variety of corals, right now I have a Biocube 14 and am limited to my selection, would like to not be limited on the 45. It is 36 inches long, 12 inches deep, and 24 inches tall. Contemplating Metal Halides but the price is scary. Is there an alternative to these that will support just as well. Thanks...Chris

Do you want SPS or clams? If so you might as well jump into MH's. If you say to yourself maybe later but for now I will do Softies and Shrooms Then PC's are great but you will end up realizing you want to get into clams and SPS sooner and you will have spent more money because you will end up getting the MH's and stuck with a PC light that you will use on your FOWLR you will want to set up in about 6 months but you will realize my light is too short because I want a 4 foot tank to house some tangs and angels so you end up buying a whole new light for it thinking you will use the old PC for a species only tank later. But then you realize I should have gotten a 6 foot tank instead of a 4 foot tank because I want a Naso Tang and a Clown Trigger and the 75 is just not big enough so heres is what I will do I will convert my 75 into a species tank and make my 150 into a larger FOWLR. You then keep reading these forums and realize I am just going to regret a 150 so you bust a nut and get a 8 foot 210. And then..........................Sorry but that is the path you have chosen my friend so you might as well just get the MH's because you will never be able to use that PC light.

justplainnuts

Thank both of you....I dont know why I would go cheat myself out of MH's either....Metal halides for me

Thank both of you....I dont know why I would go cheat myself out of MH's either....Metal halides for me

I have the same size tank. I went with Currents 36" Sunpod with 2 150watt MH

I has been great!

I am setting up the same tank and plan on using the36" long 4 bulb T5HO Tek Fixture from Sunlight Supply, hell of allot cheaper than MH, and just as good.

I have been checking out lighting for a 40 G breeder also 36" long holds 45Gal of water. I love MH have it on my 29gal but other options are

Nova extreme T-5 4 bulbs 39W each 156 watt total

bulbs included 10K + 460 actinic german parabolic reflector with white LED moon light on sale on line at least 3 places I looked at for under $200. mounting legs also included

Aquactinics 36" TX5 $322.00 195 watts total holds 5 bulbs bulb #1,3,5 on one switch bulb # 2+4 2nd switch. Add about $100.00 for the bulbs not included and about 25 for hanger or legs. It does have the individual reflectors but will cost about $446.00

Not sure if those reflectors are worth over $200.00 more

I have been checking out lighting for a 40 G breeder also 36" long holds 45Gal of water. I love MH have it on my 29gal but other options are

Nova extreme T-5 4 bulbs 39W each 156 watt total

bulbs included 10K + 460 actinic german parabolic reflector with white LED moon light on sale on line at least 3 places I looked at for under $200. mounting legs also included

Aquactinics 36" TX5 $322.00 195 watts total holds 5 bulbs bulb #1,3,5 on one switch bulb # 2+4 2nd switch. Add about $100.00 for the bulbs not included and about 25 for hanger or legs. It does have the individual reflectors but will cost about $446.00

Not sure if those reflectors are worth over $200.00 more

Seems like for that much you might as well go MH

Seems like for that much you might as well go MH

I bought my Sunpod for under $400.00 on ebay shipped. LFS said he would have to sell it to me for over $500.00

Socalsuperhero
Will be setting up a 45 gallon soon and was wondering what would be the most cost effective lighting for corals. I want to have a variety of corals, right now I have a Biocube 14 and am limited to my selection, would like to not be limited on the 45. It is 36 inches long, 12 inches deep, and 24 inches tall. Contemplating Metal Halides but the price is scary. Is there an alternative to these that will support just as well. Thanks...Chris

I'd go 400w MH.

• 2 weeks later...

The MH's will also give you the rippling effect that a CF never will. Beleive me, get the MH's!

I would tell you to go to the Hamilton Technology site and look at their lighting set-ups. They are by far the best for longevity and support, but they are pricey. I think 250W should be plenty for you. You will get a unit 36" long with 2, 250W MH, and 2, 96W actinic blue's, now I don't think the bulbs are included, but I might be wrong. If not, go with a good quality bulb, they will give you the longest life at the right color. You might want to start with a 10,000 K bulb, and Hamilton sells them on their site. Just let me warn you, you will get sticker shock at first, but you will be damn glad you spent the money when you see the results.

Archived