Pod Your Reef

Wanting to get a 55G or larger reef ready tank, what to buy?

murphy_5

Just as the title says. I am wanting to get a 55G or larger tank since I am moving into a house that I can actually have one this large :) So i figured you guys and girls would be the ones to ask. So give me some hints I'm not really a great DIY when it comes to drilling in glass...I might be but I just don't want to risk it ya know? Anyway give me some choices.

Go as big as you're alloted space will allow. If you can get a 55g tank in that space then why not consider 75/90/120? I would look for the biggest tank I could. I just bought my 75 and I'm already thinking bigger! Luckily for me I don't have anywhere to put anything bigger. :)

I've got a 125g freshwater tank that I love/hate. I love the size, but lighting that damned tank frustrates me to no end. I couldn't imagine trying to light it for a reef!

If you are thinking 55 then just pass it up and goto a 75 you will be glad you did. Cost is so minor. If you wanna go to a 90 or 100 you can because it is the same footprint just deeper tank. Cost for that is irrelevant too because your lights and pumps still will work. If you are doing reef a 90 would be good because you do get more height for rockscaping if you are going to do a FO or FOWLR I think the extra 15 gallons are irrelevant for fish because they use length a width not height for swimming which the 75 and 90 are the same just more glass to clean on a 90. But definately pass on the 55 and go at least 75 you wont regret it.

But definately pass on the 55 and go at least 75 you wont regret it.

Ok cool any specific brand I was checking out AGA website but I don't see any prices for the tanks (that and I'm at work lol) but I do want a reef ready tank.

Ok cool any specific brand I was checking out AGA website but I don't see any prices for the tanks (that and I'm at work lol) but I do want a reef ready tank.

This is a good site to get an idea of tank prices.

Elmers Aquarium

The prices at this place are about the same as what I have around my house. They carry all 3 major brands (AGA, Perfecto, and Oceanic)

The AGA site has a find a local retailer thing at the bottom of the page. just plug in your area code and Bam you get the names of the stores that sell AGA tanks.

while I know everyone says go large as you can from the gitgo just remember the larger you go the more it costs out of the box and the larger the cost is monthly to maintain. IE chemical's, water, ELECTRICITY! so plan according to your budget as well.

The AGA site has a find a local retailer thing at the bottom of the page. just plug in your area code and Bam you get the names of the stores that sell AGA tanks.

while I know everyone says go large as you can from the gitgo just remember the larger you go the more it costs out of the box and the larger the cost is monthly to maintain. IE chemical's, water, ELECTRICITY! so plan according to your budget as well.

Yeah good info there, well I already have a 12G nanocube and a 29G bowfront so I figure it shouldn't be a whole lot more than those 2 combined??? These 2 will not be setup anymore just 1 now kind of a deal I made with my Fiance...she's like fine you can get a bigger one only if you have 1 tank! Its like making a deal with the devil. It took a day to decide lol

What would be a good lighting setup for a 75G for around $350-400

depends on what you want in your tank. If you want everything but Clams and SPS I would go with what I have which is the Current USA Satellite with Dual Daylight 6,700k/10,000k : 2 x 65 watt Dual Actinic 420nm/460nm : 2 x 65 watt plus it has 2 LED Moonlites. It is in a nice black finish it is sleek and has 24 hour lighting setup. Nothing else to buy except a timer to turn them on and off for you. Here it is on mine

Cost around 250

DSC_0002.jpg

Check out www.hellolights.com

They have great prices and service. You should bite the bullet and get a MH or T5 setup from the start.

I'm seriously considering the Aquatinics 5-bulb T5HO fixture for my 75g, runs about $460 after bulbs. This should allow pretty much everything except the harder SPS.

www.diyreef.com & www.aquariumspecialty.com both have it.

Yeah I was thinking that also I currently have T5 HO Nova Extreme on my 29G right now everything is doing well. I was thinking of at least getting a longer version of those.

I think you should seriously consider a 120, unless your budget won't allow for a tank that big. Its got a much better footprint than a 55 or 75, you won't regret getting a tank with 24" of depth for aquascaping.

I think you should seriously consider a 120, unless your budget won't allow for a tank that big. Its got a much better footprint than a 55 or 75, you won't regret getting a tank with 24" of depth for aquascaping.

Yeah that would be nice, but I would love to have a 60'' length tank but not sure about the lights or the stocking costs

Yeah that would be nice, but I would love to have a 60'' length tank but not sure about the lights or the stocking costs

Maybe I'm thinking of another tank, I thought the 120 was 48"x24"x24".

Maybe I'm thinking of another tank, I thought the 120 was 48"x24"x24".

No your right I was just saying if I had a choice I would love to have a 60'' tank. lol

Is there any lighting system that you guys would say is good? I've been checking out hellolights.com and there is a bunch of choices on there. I would like MH or T5 HO since I already have T5 HO already and don't want to step down from it. Also what combination of lights should I get? Maybe one 10K and one 20K I like a nice daylight look with some blue in it.

Ok since I won't be keeping any SPS I think I'm just gonna go with the Nova extreme T5 HO lighting again, I had good luck with it and its pretty cost effective. Anyone looking for a 24'' Nova Extreme T5 HO that I have had since Jan?

Is there any lighting system that you guys would say is good? I've been checking out hellolights.com and there is a bunch of choices on there. I would like MH or T5 HO since I already have T5 HO already and don't want to step down from it. Also what combination of lights should I get? Maybe one 10K and one 20K I like a nice daylight look with some blue in it.

I'd get an aquatraders.com halide setup and then buy an icecap ballast to light the bulb/bulbs. That's the most bang for you buck for halides right now. I'm thinking of getting these for my next tank.

Coralife Aqualight Pro are nice because they come with MH, Actinic, and Moon LEDs. That would what I would get if I upgrade to a reef

Archived