ReefCleaners.org

sub 1g pico

nanoDarth

hey wassup everybody? so i got my hands on this cool looking jar of POM tea and i decided why not?. so my plan is to have a small sump connected to it and then you know the rest.

post-17341-1177031603_thumb.jpg

its a normal tank/sump setup, but miniature. i went out to the LFS and got me a Rio 150 for 10 bucks, then off to lowes and get some plumbing supplies.

post-17341-1177031618_thumb.jpg

i will be making a box/stand for the jar as soon as i can get some free time. now hat i think of it maybe starting a new project during midterms isnt such a good idea.

anywho regardless, i intend to keep this project alive as long as possible and with pictures. im still thinking of what i might put in it but to be honest it will be very simple, maybe a thin brach of zoas or sumthing along those lines. well wish me luck.

Fishfreak218

lol, the funny thing is... I have the same Pomegranate tea jar and I was thinking the same thing about how it would make a cool fishtank. IMO the tea is a little strong.. needs to be mixed with something.

Good luck, looks cool.. are you using that cool lid that comes with it?

alexmurovec

haha, my moms got one of the glasses kickin around. i would have never thought of it as a possible fish tank. great thinkin', keep us posted.

lol, the funny thing is... I have the same Pomegranate tea jar and I was thinking the same thing about how it would make a cool fishtank. IMO the tea is a little strong.. needs to be mixed with something.

Good luck, looks cool.. are you using that cool lid that comes with it?

yea the tea is a bit strong, like to water it down a bit :P . as for the lid, im still debating. if i use the lid i might have to put it by a window for lighting. for now im planning on just using a screw-in 10w 50/50 bulb. but having the lid on would make it look more neat.

• 2 weeks later...
nanoDarth

so no real updates, before i add any livestock i want to work out the flow kinks in my design. the pump i got seem to be a bit weak and takes a long time for it to start but once water starts flowing its a bit of a hassle finding out the right restriction of flow for the siphon tube leading to the mini sump. but i think i finally got it and let it run for a whole night and the water level remained the same.

now my next task is to find a box or case to hide the mini-sump in. or maybe make one, regardless im having a hard time finding time to do both but as soon as i get that outta the way gona add a heater, and find a place to put it. then i can finally add some rock and sand.

cya later.

Matty1124

is that glass or plastic? if its plastic why dont you just try and drill it and make an over flow out of an UGF up lift tupe cut in half this way you wont have to worry about dialing in the flow and you can have your sump right under the "tank"... cool idea by the way

EDIT: from the one pic it looked like it was plastic but in the other i can see its glass... that will make it a bit harder to drill

Archived