Cultivated Reef

The case of the missing Sally lightfoot?

tigers fan

I haven't seen it for 2 days, I know I'ts a cheap crab but none the less I was concerned. Today I decided to move some rocks and low and behold what was left of it was being eaten by hermit crabs! Needless to say I'm a little bummed out.What could have happened to it? Any help would be appreciated. All my params are on. I'ts a 29 gallon bio cube. Its been running for about five weeks.Currently I have 8hermits, snails, percula clown, conch, an emerald crab, cleaner shrimp(which I havent seen in 2 days) and some zoas and shrooms. I hear many people say not to keep crabs but the sally lightfoot eas larger than anything in my tank. Please help! Signed PI##ED OFF

could have had problems molting which resulted in death ..

If it molted could it still be alive and mabe it was just peices of shell? Could it be hiding?

could be a possibility ... usually hermits or the invert eat their molt for trace elements ... or maybe it died and the cuc took care of it hopefully not the latter for your sake ;) ... but crabs are weird i had a porcelain that stayed in the same spot for a good week and then he moved and i have only seen his molts since the initial move ... no sign of him just the exoskeleton

could be a possibility ... usually hermits or the invert eat their molt for trace elements ... or maybe it died and the cuc took care of it hopefully not the latter for your sake ;) ... but crabs are weird i had a porcelain that stayed in the same spot for a good week and then he moved and i have only seen his molts since the initial move ... no sign of him just the exoskeleton

What would actually molt the entire exoskeleton?

Archived