Pod Your Reef

distinguishing between picking and eating

ssirishpride

ssirishpride

so i added my 2 new colonies of zoos last night and they went in all closed up.(to be expected i suppose after shipping) i watched them for about 2 hours under my white/blue leds and they began to open up slightly. i got in the shower and about 15 mins later my wife was pounding at the door saying that the med. size pep shrimp was eatting my new corals. so i went to check it out and saw him clearly picking between the polyps. not pulling on the polyps, he appeared to be searching and pulling in between each one. only on one of the colonies though. as he brushed each one it closed as he went along. after observing for another hour i made a half hearted attempt to get the shrimp out by hand and went to bed worried. woke up to find almost all of the polyps open looking great in the shimmering light. should i leave the shrimps be? are they gonna p.o. my zoos to the point of death. i have plenty of rock for them to bother in my fuge if need be. or am i overacting cause it's my first ever coral, and they are just "cleaning" the colonies?

fraggle rockette
so i added my 2 new colonies of zoos last night and they went in all closed up.(to be expected i suppose after shipping) i watched them for about 2 hours under my white/blue leds and they began to open up slightly. i got in the shower and about 15 mins later my wife was pounding at the door saying that the med. size pep shrimp was eatting my new corals. so i went to check it out and saw him clearly picking between the polyps. not pulling on the polyps, he appeared to be searching and pulling in between each one. only on one of the colonies though. as he brushed each one it closed as he went along. after observing for another hour i made a half hearted attempt to get the shrimp out by hand and went to bed worried. woke up to find almost all of the polyps open looking great in the shimmering light. should i leave the shrimps be? are they gonna p.o. my zoos to the point of death. i have plenty of rock for them to bother in my fuge if need be. or am i overacting cause it's my first ever coral, and they are just "cleaning" the colonies?

he prolly was just eating the junk between them- i'd leave everything alone for a while and just keep an eye out for missing polyps... someone tried to tell me they eat coral once, but ive had two and they only eat aptasia, so... should be a-ok, especially with zoas which are kind of hard to stress out to the point of death. :happy:

Exile them! Their evil evil little shrimp.

edit: Maybe I should add to that

They can eat corals, I had one that was fond of ripping at my frogspawn and my very slow growing pallys. I even bothered to feed him frozen every other day for clearing my apastia problem and I would still find pieces of frogspawn around the tank and very unhappy pallys. He didn't last long after that.

Archived