Innovative Marine Aquariums

Filamented Flasher Wrasse?

aquaholic420

aquaholic420

Has anyone had experience with a filamented flasher wrasse?

I'm interested in putting one as the sole inhabitant to my 30 gal reef.

I would like to know:

Can you identify male and female easily?

Could I do a pair, or does a male need multiple females?

Would this fish harass my fire shrimp or hermit crabs? They're supposed to be reef safe, but...

Thanks for everything!

Bucket o Chum

Yes males and females are easily identified.

Flasher wrasse can be kept alone, in pairs, or in groups.

Yes they are reef-safe they are plankton feeders so will have no interest in inverts.

aquaholic420

Do you think that a pair would happily exist in a 30 gal, or am I pushing it?

Also, would he mix well with a pygmy angel if I went with only one?

Bucket o Chum

I'll let you make the decision on keeping him single or with a friend.

If the pygmy angel is large and has been in the tank for a long time then no they can be agressive towards a peaceful Flasher wrasse.

• 3 weeks later...

I had one until yesterday, I killed it accidently with some careless maintenence I was doing that I'm too embarassed to go into detail about. Needless to say, I will be more careful next time. This wrasse was pretty cool, wild caught but ate flake food, and flashed at everything. I think he liked to show off.

• 4 weeks later...

I had a fairy wrasse in my 29 gallon. It ate all my 'pods, but also ate frozen, live and flake food. He liked to show off in front of my bicolor blenny. I thought they were gonna fight, but he was never aggressive. Make sure you have an TIGHT lid. Mine escaped out of a 2"x2" hole in the back of my eclipse 12 after I put him in there.

My next fish will probably be a filamented flasher.

• 1 month later...

Bringin back the post because I'm curious as to how members are doing with this particular fishy after a month or so of ownership. It's kinda weird how overlooked such a nice lookin fish could be. I'm thinking about purchasing one also, so please share more info!! Thanks

tataynic, I have an order in for a male/female pair. I'll let you know how they fare once they finally arrive. With my luck they'll both carpet surf within a week.

• 11 months later...
Funkymonkey
Originally posted by Crakeur

tataynic, I have an order in for a male/female pair.  I'll let you know how they fare once they finally arrive.  With my luck they'll both carpet surf within a week.

Do we get an update now maano?

• 4 months later...

How are those Wrasses doing? I am considering getting one...although a wrasse will kill my plans for a Mandrin in a couple of months but maybe that is a good thing.

Tell me more about these fish, do they really change colors rapidly?

Archived