Coral Vue Hydros

New frag of Purple Star Polyps

Nitro Joe

Hey all! I finally have a reef ready tank and I got my first coral yesterday. Looked at several and went with some star polyps. I have read quite a bit about them, but I only find the name Green Star Polyps. This new frag looks like those but are a very attractive purple... I'm assuming they are all the same genus, but are there different species? Does the color depend on a symbiotic algea or something?

What I know: hardy coral. Likes higher pH. propagates like mad. some use super glue gel to place frags elsewhere in their tanks (do you just put the glue gel on the frag and glue it to the rock all UNDER water?)

Where I placed it: In a 29 gall about half way down. Lighting with 2X65 watts (10k and 7.1k). Water flow - medium in that spot.

Sound good?

glue the frag outside the water and let the glue set for about a minute. the frag will be fine.

can you post a pic of the purple star polyps? that isn't always definitive but it does allow elimination of the obvious. it could be an acropora for all we know because people misidentify and throw around common names (myself included :blush:). i'm very curious on this color morph if it is purple.

what kind of lights was it under at the lfs and for about how long?

quote:I absolutely will take a pic when it opens if I can get it to post.

do you need help posting or hasent the coral opened up yet? Cant wait for pics :)

:| I'm at work until 5ish, dawg! :) Patience young padawan-learner (oh wait... I think I'm the padawan around here!) :P I just hope I can get it to post. Do I just do that "attach file" down below?

Well polyps were starting to open just two hours after putting the frag in the tank, but lights were off when I left for work so polyps were all closed. Hopefully I will find a group of little stars when I get home, otherwise I can only post a picture of the rubbery matt and all the little stumps.

Nitro Joe

I am sorry. I can't compress the picture enough to download it. What programs do you use to make a pic smaller jpg file without loosing your resolution? Call me a retard I guess. :blush: I have a 4.0 mpixel camera, and was shooting 2.2 mpixel pics. They turn out to be around 700-800kb. Help?

As far as the polyps are concerned, under my lights only the rubbery matt is purple, the polyps themselves are white center with fleshy appendages. My bad. :|

deacon hemp

Ah damn i was looking forward to seeing star polyps in bright purple color!so are they just gsp or brown sp?

Nitro Joe

Sorry friends... I am layed up on Vicoden and Skelaxin right now. Lawn care-related accident involving back spasms. I guess getting old's a b#&@! I will post when I figure out the compression deal. But don't get all excited, as I posted earlier the little polyps themselves appear to be plain-Jane fleshy in color.

Archived