Pod Your Reef

it's alive!

offsprg01

finally i got my 10 gal sump hooked up to the 5.5gal my heater boiled!. well my 10 gal isn't really a sump it's really just a nother nano conected by a pump and over flow system to increase the water volume. i will post pics as soon as the move is through. right now my place is a mess between finals and moving out it looks like a disaster area. anyway i was wondering what live stock you guys used when you were a newbie. yes i have used the search button and seen what everyone reccomends i was just wanting some personal experiences. right now i have 14ish lbs of lr and a watchman goby in the 5.5. i plan on keeping zoos and shrooms in the 5.5 as i'm a newbie and i only have two 13 watt 6500k pc's on it. also i would like to get a shrimp for the goby to hang with but not sure on which one to get. any suggestions? i was thinking maybe a clown and host coral combo in the 10 gallon? would this work? if so what corals do clowns host readily with that are good for newbies. also what clowns sould i consider? i am confused on the diffrences between them could some one please explain? i know some are larger than others but other than that and coloration is there any diffrence? well i think that's the last of my questions.

Well, being still a newbie myself (I haven't actually been told I'm not a still a newbie) here's my 2 cents for what it's worth.

I have a true perc clown and a yellow watchman goby. See attached thread:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread...&threadid=11760

Anyway, I chose the true perc because it is smaller than the false perc, and since I only have a 6 gal. small=better. My clown hosts the powerhead/heater corner. Forget the beautiful bubble coral I have. Who needs it when you have a PH?

As far as the goby goes, mine's a yellow watchman and it I thought I might like to pair it up with a pistol shrimp until I got to the LFS and saw that the shrimp was much bigger than my juvenile goby so I deciided to drop that plan. If you look around you can find goby/pistol pairs for sale online.

Lots of peeps have the black percs which are really cool looking. It's all a matter of taste (ahem) you'll have to surf online for pics of the different types of percs available and see what you like.

is my 5.5 big enought for a true perc and a watchman goby? if so i might do that and look in to getting something else for my 10 gal. maybe a blennie of some sort? dunno. also if i do add a true perc should i still try to pair my goby what a shrimp? so more about this buble tip coral? is it good for beginners? i was also think of a pulsing xenia maybe? would that coral be ok for a nebiw to try?

sweet! i have crabs! i did not think any survived the catalismic boiling of the nano! i just saw a black crab with some sort of white/yellowish stripes on it's legs. any idea what it might be? it's a small bugger.

ok so i did some quick research (not much just a fast search on this site) the black perc seems to be pretty cool but what about size? are tey comprable to a true perc?

Well, I'm not going to give you advice on how may fish to keep in your 5.5 since my two in a six gallon is more than it should be. Big bio-load means more work for me, but since I'm home 90% of the time it's not a problem and I can do the tank maintenence that is required. In the tank tha t I'll be setting up I plan to have only one fish and lots of corals!!

If you do a google search on the species of fish you're interested in you'll find lots of info on the breed size and requirements. Good Luck!

Archived