SaltCritters.com

Sick polyps?

stiga

I have a colony of brown polyps that have recently (in the past week) started to not fully open. I do have a cleaner shrimp that likes to hang out on top of them but not 24/7. I also have a small pygmy angel but I've never noticed any picking. I've never experienced sick polyps before so I'm not quite sure what I'm looking for. I've attached a pic for viewing.

30 gal. biocube

Other corals in tank:

small zenia frag

small colt frag

small green polyp

Fish:

Med. Maroon clown

small firefish

yellow goby

pygmy angel

Other:

Emerald crab

cleaner shrimp

coral banded shrimp

Forgot to mention...water quality is good. tested myself and also at a lfs and all is good.

I have a colony of brown polyps that have recently (in the past week) started to not fully open. I do have a cleaner shrimp that likes to hang out on top of them but not 24/7. I also have a small pygmy angel but I've never noticed any picking. I've never experienced sick polyps before so I'm not quite sure what I'm looking for. I've attached a pic for viewing.

30 gal. biocube

Other corals in tank:

small zenia frag

small colt frag

small green polyp

Fish:

Med. Maroon clown

small firefish

yellow goby

pygmy angel

Other:

Emerald crab

cleaner shrimp

coral banded shrimp

30 gal. biocube

Other corals in tank:

small zenia frag

small colt frag

small green polyp

Fish:

Med. Maroon clown

small firefish

yellow goby

pygmy angel

Other:

Emerald crab

cleaner shrimp

coral banded shrimp

Forgot to mention...water quality is good. tested myself and also at a lfs and all is good.

Picture not attached.

I have a small colony of Moon Polyps, Cinnamon Polyps, whatever you want to call them. My point is that they are palythoas and they did what you are describing about a week ago. They always opened up nice and big but one week they started not to open or open very little. Then once day they were back open again but had a translucent film on them and after a couple of days they were completely back to normal.

As it turns out, some polyp colonies will close up and create a waxy film over the polyp surface and then shed it as a way to prevent microalgae from growing on them. Give it time and see what happens, sometimes my polyps will close up for days at a time for no specific reason.

Archived