Cultivated Reef

Tall Zoos

Chromis

My 28 gallon has lots of Zoo morphs (mostly from logical) and they all seem to be doing well and spreading nicely. The problem is that almost all of them have grown at least an inch upward toward the light. I kinda liked the "snug to the rock" look better. Anyways, I would assume this is due to lighting conditions. I have 2x55w PCs, one "blue" and one 100K that I bought from PSL. I don't think the "blue" light is a true actinic and will be replacing both lights next month from hello lights. Could this non-actinic be the problem? Also if I was to find the problem and correct it will these zoos always be tall or is there a chance they will shrink back down again? Any help or info is greatly appriciated.

I think they are definetly trying to reach for more light. I'm not really knowledged in the zoo section though, It might be some wierd other change or something....i dunno.....

Nishant3789

its just a morph, some zoos tend to do that, i don tihnk they are reaching for light, i think you have enough light for hte zoos in the tank

I have 64 watts over a 5 and 1/2 and have experienced this with some of my zoos as well. Then again, most that I have started sorta tall.

Spudds.

logicalreef

Hey Chromis,

Being you said most came from me, and that they are spreading well, the only place I would focus is the light.

Read zoos just like shrooms, trumpeting up for light means :I want more!"

Not that they are unhealthy when elongated like that, but look as you said, like corn :) (great analolgy)

What is happening is your zoos want more light so they reach up for it, then they must use a good deal of their energy in both the reaching and remaining upright.

Once they have the light they want, they will expend that energy into growth at a rate that just may shock you

:o

I don't think the "not true actinic" is doing it, if possible try and p/u a used 2x55 or 65 retro and see if you can retro it.

Or jump right to the 250 halide and stand back!

Peace, Bryan

ps- drop me a email if I can help you out in anyway.

• 1 month later...

So being the good reefer that I am I followed the 6-8 month rule and replaced my power-compacts. Actually turned them on about 5 hours ago and my zoos are all about half the height and a few are already hugging the rock again!!! It seems there may have been something wrong with my original actinic bulb; with just the actinic on it was so dim I could berely see in the tank ... now it is a neon explosion! Too bad this was my first reef tank or I'd have known I had a problem with the bulb. All is well now!

Right now my green fuzzy mushroom is as big as it has ever been ... about 6" across! :)

Archived