ReefCleaners.org

Odd couple

caja

My true perc has taken quite an interest in my yellow watchman goby. At first I couldn't figure out what the heck the perc was doing swimming around down at the bottom of the tank, then I thought, cool, he's finally going to host in the bubble coral. Nope.

So I've been watching the past couple of days and discovered that the perc goes down to the goby's cave under the LR on the side of the tank, behind the bubble coral, and swims back and forth in front of the cave. He does this until the goby pops his head out and will stay there with the goby until someone comes near the tank, then of couse the pig thinks it's feeding time and rushes to the front of the tank looking for a handout.

It's almost as if the perc is trying to get the goby to come out and hang with him. Pretty funny to watch!B)

Snapped some pics whilst spying one these two. If the perc sees the goby rush back to it's cave it goes right down there to check it out. Very cool!

cajastan: The decision i was making in my other thread was to either get 2x percs or 1xperc 1x watch goby, Or getting 2x perc pair and goby,

SPECS-relavant ones :)

16gal built in fuge

1"lS in both fuge + main bit

25lbs LR

If i add the two percs first after a month of it being setup then after say 2 months add a watch goby while the tank had time to mature or add the goby first. I plan on doing 10% water changes every week so my tank stays in good order

help apprecaited Simon

Simon, my perc was in the tank for about 3 months before I introduced the goby. I've had the goby now for about a month and a half and the perc has just now developed an interest in him. I knew percs paired up with other percs, but I'd never heard of a goby with anything other than a pistol shrimp.

With a 16 gal tank you should have no problem putting a pair of percs in there. Not sure about the bioload of a pair of percs and the goby, but I've got two fish in my 6 gal and do weekly 10% WC's and so far (crosses fingers) everything's fine. I can feel the flames already about the bioload I've got.

'scuse me while I go grab my fire extinguisher!

Hmm... He may actually be acting territorially and thinking about how to kick the goby's butt. My ocellaris does that some time. he will hang around my shrimp or green clown goby, sort of testing them before chasing them out and camping in on their former spot.

Archived