Pod Your Reef

high nitrate levels

Sunny

Hey all,

I was wondering if someone could tell me how high a bad high level of nitrate is?

I know that ammonia converts to nitrite converts to nitrate & then's supposed to convert to nitrogen. but other then water changes what can be done to get the levels down & what levels should you be panicking about?

Just wondering :)

matteo_gugliotta

It depends on what you are keeping in your tank.

Many Fish are able to live with high nitrates (>100), but most of the corals need clean water (<10).

there's both in there.

when i noticed strange nitrate readings i thought that it must have been something wrong with the test kit as AFAIK nitrate wasn't a major problem. after having consistant problems with the kit i contacted the manufacturers to see if they had anything to suggest & they thought that the problem was that the nitrate levels were too high & that was why the colour was wrong (instead of being pink it was orange) i got another kit to try to determine what the level was & it too reckoned that it was really high (as in 80!) so far i've done water changes & have put some purigen in, any other suggestions?

BTW the levels have obviously been this bad over the last couple of months, but everything seems really good, no losses, no problems *shrug*

Archived