inTank Media Baskets

Rock/Flower Anemones

Rene

Okay folks, for those that have them, I've got a question about the flower or rock anemone, Epicystis crucifer. I want to put one in my ten-gallon nano (link in sig) but I'd like to know how much yours has moved around and if you've had any problems with them eating fish/inverts. The tank is pretty crowded and I'm not sure how to deal with them if they start to wander.

Mine really hasn't moved - it's only about inch and a quarter in diameter so it's too small to eat anything (I feed it Prime Reef flake)

Wow, fast response. Thanks. I'm not worried about feeding it, as I already feed the mantis in the tank plenty. I'm more worried about it going on the warpath or eating my shrimp when it gets big.

Anyone else?

I have a rather large flower anemone (2-3 inch diameter)

I think they grow rather quickly. My LFS told me not to feed it. (But I do because I actually love it). Mine only moved about 1 inch since I have had it. It has never eaten anything other than what I feed it. I enjoy having it in the tank.

RayWhisperer

I had one.... It moved from the sandbed to the top of the highest rock overnight. Unfortunately, it liked that spot and wasn't moving. The frogspawn also inhabited the same general area, and was quite large when fully inflated. The nem didn't last long.

I've had one in two diferent tanks and it never moved much. When it was placed in the sand it wandered a couple inches or so, and in the rocks it never moved at all. Since RayWhisperer also said his moved from the sandbed to the rocks, I would place it in the rocks. I don't think it will move from there. Guess that's why they're called rock anemones. It's never eaten my peppermint shrimp or small gobies, but it did eat a Montipora frag that I placed too close to it. Mine is probably around 4 inches across. I would have no qualms about putting him in a 10 gallon tank as long as there were no other corals within several inches of him.

Thanks everyone! Based on the feedback, I'm going to wait. I think my tank is just too crowded right now to add an anemone safely.

Archived