Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Used Freshwater Equipment

horsehunter

horsehunter

Is it OK to use equipment thst was previously used in a fresh water tank?

What if one of the pieces came from a tank that had been treated for snails with a treatment containing 3% copper sulfate? I cant remember for sure it would have been a long time ago.

Thanks Frank

duckhuntboy

Of course, wash everything off really well if you were treating your old tank. Don't use crap like undergravel filters.... If you're just using a heater, filter, etc.... Just wash it off and scrub a bit with a cloth... If you're really worried, you could use some soap, just make sure its REALLY clean of the soap when you put it back in. Should be fine.

horsehunter

In freshwater soap is susposedly a NO-NO in 50 years I have never tried and I am content to take others word on it. Maybe saltwater is different but I have no idea why it would be>

Thanks Frank

you can use a mild soap or cleaner, i reccomend KABOOM or OXICLEAN the aer both made by the smae company. KABOOM works really well in cleaning old tanks. i do this when i decide to change out everything in a tank which happens about from or five times a year (keep in mind i have ALOT of tanks so i'm not constantly resetting up the same tank.) once i wash the tank out and scrub it down really well i put outside or in my shower and let fresh water run throught it for about an hour or two. then i let it sit out for a couple of days. i've never had any problem with fish being poisined form the cleaner. yes soap and cleaners are not supposed to be used but i think that's just to keep newbies from trying to clean the hard water deposit off the rim of the tank with CLR :x just rinse throughly and let your tank sit for a couple of days and you should be fine.

Archived