inTank Media Baskets

I'm baaack w/light& stocking??

Haunted

When cycling a new tank should you have the lights on or off? Or does it really matter?

I have a 10g tank want to put in

1 shrimp(cleaner)

2 snails(cleaner)

1 or 2 fish

some mushrooms

and corals

Are there easy guidelines for how much live stock to put in?

Can I trust what I read?

What does anybody think?

Run your lights with the usual 10 hours of light on a timer and all wil be well. If algae breaks out buy a snail and a hermit or two and your good to go. They are very very hearty little bugers they will survive just about any cycle. I would let the rock cycle for 1 month minimum before adding corals or fish. Test your water after the first week . Test again on the second. Test again on the third. If all is well in the readings by the fourth week add only one thing every two weeks or so. Your bactera will only be built up by that time to support the live rock and what ever came on it , and will need the two weeks to rebuild and support what ever you add. If on the third week you have VERY high readings do a 20% water change.

Alot of people tell you not to change water during the cycle. But the bacteria is in and on the substrate and the rock not the water. They should say do no more then 20-25% water change so that you dont send the bacteria into a shock and kill it all off.

I hope this helps.

Archived