Innovative Marine Aquariums

Sun Coral

bubbles3660

bubbles3660

Hi All:

After some experimentation, my sun coral is progressing. This shot was taken in the morning so the polyps aren't fully extended.

post-26405-1176384554_thumb.jpg

I use the "lunar lander" bottle method for feeding in the evening. I start with a squirt of zooroids and then add a mysis blend. I don't feed more than twice a week otherwise I get wicked algae blooms.

--bubbles

My Specs: BC14 - 70W in-hood MH - NC12 Sapphire Skimmer - MJ900

Do you have to make sure you feed every single head or do you still get growth from just feeding the big heads?

That's a beautiful piece of coral.
bubbles3660
Do you have to make sure you feed every single head or do you still get growth from just feeding the big heads?

From what I gather you have to spot feed every polyp. I use an eye dropper and just blast the whole coral with mysis while it's covered with the bottle - that usually does it.

I do have difficulty getting the whole colony to open. They're on two pieces of fused rock - one side opens in the morning and the other side opens at night. I gave up feeding in the morning because I don't have time to deal with it.

--bubbles

SR20Fastback
From what I gather you have to spot feed every polyp. I use an eye dropper and just blast the whole coral with mysis while it's covered with the bottle - that usually does it.

I do have difficulty getting the whole colony to open. They're on two pieces of fused rock - one side opens in the morning and the other side opens at night. I gave up feeding in the morning because I don't have time to deal with it.

--bubbles

what is the lunar landing bottle thing?

SR20Fastback

awesome thanks for the link! i might have to consider some sun corals down the road sometime, but i think i'll make that sooner rather than later incase i need any thing else spot fed

bubbles3660

Here's a shot of the colony exhibiting this behaviour at feeding time. Better polyp extension on this one. Wish I could get the other half to concur. :)

post-26405-1176655542_thumb.jpg

Some yellow polyps that have received some nasty treatment - but they are still hanging in.

post-26405-1176655561_thumb.jpg

--bubbles

Archived