Pod Your Reef

< 1 g pico?

wheresnemo

After reading this thread I had a crazy dream where I made a shot glass pico lol.It was drilled and used air pump tubing connected to a fuge from another tank.It used regular siphon for watermovement and it used LED lighting.Just 3 little GPE's ontop of a quarter sized LR with black sand.

actually thats not a bad idea,could be a fun "little" project.

After reading this thread I had a crazy dream where I made a shot glass pico lol.It was drilled and used air pump tubing connected to a fuge from another tank.It used regular siphon for watermovement and it used LED lighting.Just 3 little GPE's ontop of a quarter sized LR with black sand.

actually thats not a bad idea,could be a fun "little" project.

Ha Ha! That is a wild pico idea! and even wackier that you dream of this stuff!:)jk

kindredfyre

I'm starting a pico too tomorrow. I think I got the glass container figured out.

However, what is the easier route (if there is one) with these? Is it easier to drill the glass at the bottom (hopping it doesn't break) or use another method? I'm kinda new to the saltwater community but have had freshwater for years. I help my husband with his 20gal nano reef tank, but he doesn't have the time to talk to me about starting a pico.

I would greatly appreciate any help you could give. :)

I've never drilled glass for a tank, but have for other stuff. I've used a glass cutting drill bit, and even had some glass cutting oil if I remember correctly.

I am sure someone fishbabies can chime in since they have obviously done it and posted pics.

i've just used standard glass drillbits that you can get at any hardware store. i got a set of 4 for about $10. The vases i use are the kind you can get at most pottery barns, pier 1, costplus...i get 'em from work when peeps thow out their flower arrangements. i just choose the side with the most imperfections and drill a couple tiny holes in the side about 1" from the bottom. i start with the smallest bit and work up using water as lubricant. i've haven't had a vase crack yet but the holes are very small and it takes about 10 minutes of slow drilling/boring. then i use 3/16" rigid tubing to create the blumbing hidden under the sand. use lots of sealant and i glue about 1 cm from the end inside the tank to keep the tube from moving. then you can attach airline tubing to that to determine exactly where you want the bubbles to come up.

Good tips on the drilling!

So what do you have the air come out of usually? A standard air stone? Fizzy air, or bigger bubbles? Any tips you can share on that will be helpful.

You are really fueling the pico fire!!!! Once you answer all of our questions there will be nothing left other than to get building!!

I was also curious to know how your tank does for temperature with the piece of glass on the top when the lights are on?

kindredfyre

Ah ok! Can hardly wait. Still doing my reading and probably going with the azoo palm filter since my container is big enough and EVENTUALLY I would like to place a goby in it.

i just have the air come right out of the tube (big bubbles) since i have not found a small enough airstone that i like. the pico is in a room where the temp really never goes out of the 76-80 degree range...with the lights the temp is 80. i just use a single 9w 10000k, but the housing can accomodate 2 lamps and sometimes i use an actinic as well.

if you can get your hands on this magazine, it explains the easy science behind "tiny fishless reef tanks" ...specimen tanks for coral basically.

http://www.coralmagazine.com/backIssues/aprMay04.htm

aprMayCurrentIssue.jpg

in all these pics i dont see any with the bubbles.. could some one post one? just want to see it in action

EDIT: oh yeah fishbabies... what do you have in that little caged off section?

I too am interested in seeing the bubbles:)

Fishbabies, if I paid for shipping both ways, would you loan the magazine to me for a week or two?

kindredfyre

okies, I think I have it figured out. I'm not drilling this time around... maybe on another project. Here's what I'm looking at setting up.

- 2.5 gal glass tank found at any petsmart/petco for a few bucks

- 1-2 lbs of live rock

- Azoo Mignon Power Filter 240 or Aquaclear 20

- 2-3" live sand

- single 9w 10k lighting (if I can find the right one).

- a few live rocks in the filter for a makeshift refuge for alge growth (many have recommended it).

Any recommendations?

if your doing a filter that small i would use just run the macro... they are small and you wouldnt be able to hold that much LR...

in all these pics i dont see any with the bubbles.. could some one post one? just want to see it in action

EDIT: oh yeah fishbabies... what do you have in that little caged off section?

you can kinda see bubbles in the pic below...they obscure the switch in the background

RN_4-9-07small.jpg

i have pulsing xenia in the caged off section so it would attach in that specific part of the tank and none of the critters would mess with it.

I too am interested in seeing the bubbles:)

Fishbabies, if I paid for shipping both ways, would you loan the magazine to me for a week or two?

saltman....i only have the article as scans now which i can send to you when i find them.

image from the cover

cover.jpg

and inside

PicoPg5b.jpg

saltman....i only have the article as scans now which i can send to you when i find them.

image from the cover

cover.jpg

and inside

PicoPg5b.jpg

Damnit I thought my idea was original

Oh well.....

wait those are like hennesy glasses.Not shot glases......

punk-o-rama

i started one its just a proto type. the whole in the top is haggard and i used the most stingy glue t stick the top half of the box to the bottom. Im just go to see how and air lift tube goes in it and fine tune some stuff before i start work on a proper one.

punk-o-rama

post-24586-1177493588_thumb.jpg

i started one its just a proto type. the whole in the top is haggard and i used the most stingy glue t stick the top half of the box to the bottom. Im just go to see how and air lift tube goes in it and fine tune some stuff before i start work on a proper one.

I know these pictures from a book by Daniel Knop. It is called "Nano-Riffaquarien" and published in germany. It's about building and keeping these picoreefs.

He writes that the pictures were made in a studio. To take pictures in the style of Takashi Amano, they turned off the filtration and filled the tanks till the rim.

Archived