inTank Media Baskets

Xploding Brown Algae??????

KCReefer

It's everywhere brown and some bright green algae on my sand. My tank is almost cycled but I'm concerned with all this growth. I use tap water and do not let it sit overnight witch I have been told is wrong.It's even on my LR . WHAT'S THE DEAL ????? any help will be gratefully appreciated.

You are going through a diatom bloom which will go away by itself. I would not recommend using tap water because it can contain unwanted stuff like metals and phosphates. Which will lead to bigger issues in the future.

You can buy bottled distilled water or RO/DI water from grocery stores or walmart

Thank's for the help. I'll check with my local walmart store. One more quick question, does my light have any effect on all the algae? I have kept it on the whole time my tank has been set up.

KC - You proly have a truck load of PO4 in your tap water. The first tank I ever set up I did with tap and I later did a PO4 test on it...It was off the scale! (supposed to be very light blue/green color and it was BLACK!).

Start running a phosphate sponge in you filter and change it every 4-5 days, you see it clear up!

Archived