Innovative Marine Aquariums

Got my bubble coral....

fishymissy

I got my bubble coral yesterday. What a nice one too....this has a very light green tint to it. The coral seems to be doing well, it was fully inflated (or whatever you call it) within half an hour of being in the tank. Anyway, I wanted to make sure I have it in the right area for flow. The bubbles are swaying around in the flow but they aren't being plastered down or anything, and the bubbles are fully inflated, does this sound about right? I also have this on the sandbed as placing it on the rockwork didn't work out too well. This is a 20g high tank with 55 watts PC and 20 watts NO actinic. Is this okay too, or do I need to rearrange my rockwork and get it closer to the lights?

Thanks for your help!

Sounds good to me.

Bubble corals can usually get away with lowish-med light.

I myself have NO lighting, and my bubble coral is growing fast.

Your lighting seems adequate for most soft corals and a few LPS corals.

You can target feed the bubble coral cut shrimp pieces.

I feed mine a few shrimp pieces per week.  Mine has several mouths and I just drop one near the mouths.  They shrivel up inda thing and the shrimp piece is taken into the mouth.

My bubble coral has a green tint too.  

I must say I was quite impressed with the growth it has shown and have now set it slightly lower in the tank.

If you notice your bubble not growing after a few weeks, try and place it slightly higher in the tank.

Overall it is a hardy coral and does well in all kinds of lighting.  Good luck.

I have a bubble coral as well. I have had it for amlost 2 weeks now and it has been doign great. However i think i had it too close to the return from my filter and it was causing the bubble to wave a bit too much. I think i will put it on my sand bed and see how it will do.

I got it at about 3inches maximum expansion.

It now is at least a few cm's bigger.

Over the next few days you will see just how much it expands etc, and within a few weeks you should see that its noticeably larger.  Bubbles are known to grow fast and do get large.

What kind of lighting does a bubble require?  RIght now, I just have a single bulb on my 20 -- a 15 watter.  I have mushrooms right now.  Sahin, I noticed you have NO's, too..... how much do you have?

freckles; a 15watt on a 20G tank is just not enough for any coral.  I have 75Watts on my tank, and my tank is very shallow.  Also, add the DSB depth and the overall hieght from light to bottom of substrate is less than 11inches.

Most corals sit only about 4-6inches below light, with lowest placed at 11inches below lights.

I know my lighting is suitable for most soft corals and a few LPS corals as I am seeing growth in all my corals.

I also have a plate coral (LPS) and it has grown too.

I got a frogspawn coral that was cheap due to being in not too good condition.  This has not only fully recovered, but has grown new polyp things and grown much larger.

I suppose some poeple can get away with using the NO lights, but a multitude of other factors determines success.

Have a look at this site to see what can be accomplished with 80Watts NO lights on a 20G shallow tank.

I was amazed.

http://www.garf.org/24/PICS/tomwork24.html

Orinigal article at: http://www.garf.org/news24p2.html#TOM

Just scroll down to near middle of page and read about the NO light tank setup.

I do have a hood over my tank.

I am considering adding another strip of light, but definately building my own hood, I guess if it build the hood, I might as well build it around 4 NO light strips.  That would definately provide me with a very decent amount of lighting for my needs.

Your tank is very nice Sahin! That is a very nice looking bubble coral too! Hey, I'm sorry about the age thing....for some reason I thought you were younger.....

Oh yeah thanks for the compliments.

I am contnuously putting a lot of effort into this tank,

I hope in a few years it turns out to be what I dream of it to be.

sahin,  my lfs calls what you have "cats eye"  the bubble corals i have seen have perfectly round bubbles.  maybe "cats eye"  is a different type of bubble coral?

Sahin,

Are you using a shop light of some sort?  I'd be interested to know....

How old are you?   I saw Fishymissy's comment, lol:cheesy:

My Alife 7 is right.  I am 25. :)  But heck I sure dont look like 25, heres a pic:

1USA.jpg

I am using normal output fluoros.  3x25watts, 1xactinic, 1x9.5K Daylight and 1x6.5KTriphosphur.

I saw the light combo used on a UK reefers tank.  His tank had superb coralline algae growth and very nice growth of corals.

I think its something to do with the colour temps used.

I am seeing good coralline algae growth in my tank as well as growth in my corals.

:blush: Thanks.

Not good enough for my girlfriend as she just disappeared on me :(

She bumped into my mum a few days ago...no mention of me...Oh well.

hey forget about her sahin...

she sounds like real class if you know what i mean...

glad to see you back around...=)  things have been fun lately without you..

aahhahaha...jk =)

fishymissy

Sahin~

You're a very nice looking young man. Think of it this way, it's HER loss.....

Don't you worry either, before long you will meet someone else and forget all about what's her name.

To answer FamousGuys question, yes it's 16" from the top of the sandbed to the lights. The coral *seems* to be alright, the bubbles are inflated and the color looks good too. Last night when I fed the fish the bubble managed to catch a few small pieces with its sweepers so I'm guessing I should feed them, but how much?

Archived