Pod Your Reef

Propagating rics?

rbrusletto

Does anybody seem to have a good luck with a certain size, whether they're big or small?

Reason I ask is I picked up a good size frag w/ quite a plethora of mushrooms, zoas, and two good size rics(imo), one 3" in dia, the other a good 1.5". The mushrooms are also huge 3" a piece...

I'm new to rics, and just want to know for good measure, I'm having a hard time with whether or not to move them, and let a smaller one grow in so that the zoas have more space... Not to mention, this was the perfect addition of color to the 30G. I'll get pics in a little bit.

Yumas are Ricordia. You can cut them like a pizza across the mouth.

But I just slice small sections of the foot and new ones grow.

Look in the search engine for propagating yumas. I have never kept them.

oddly enough, this is the only thread that came up, already had done that.. I'll check google. Or hopefully someone else can help, I need to do some research on feeding these(they're doing awesome as it is right now)!

have you tried to slice them through the mouth?

I haven't tried anything yet, these are the only two I have and they're beautiful, so I want to take as little of a chance as possible of loosing them. I'll have to see what I can do.... Apparently the foot is alot firmer that regular rics. I might just cut them in half across the mouth to see. Would be hard to deal with loosing the green one though. Its brilliant. I also spotted another one growing lower down on the same rock as it, so I might wait a while to see what comes from that one.

Archived