SaltCritters.com

Eriphia Sebana

Reef4Ever

Hey guys!

I am new to the forum but I already solved one of my mysteries reading through it... I got a hitchiker crab I couldn't identify for a long time but looking at the posts and the pics, there is NO DOUBT it is Eriphia Sebana. Now, my tank is still relatively unpopulated etc so I didn't see any bad effects. It mostly comes out to the edge of its cave and takes pieces of algae or something from the live rock. From what I read, it is a bad thing to have but how to catch the crafty bugger? It sees me as soon as I come near the tank and hides away. Now, I am very reluctant to taking out the rock itself cos it took me ages to arrange them the way I like it and so they fit firmly. What am I to do? Is there a way of catching this beast?

PLZ HELP! :)))

Hey guys!

I am new to the forum but I already solved one of my mysteries reading through it... I got a hitchiker crab I couldn't identify for a long time but looking at the posts and the pics, there is NO DOUBT it is Eriphia Sebana. Now, my tank is still relatively unpopulated etc so I didn't see any bad effects. It mostly comes out to the edge of its cave and takes pieces of algae or something from the live rock. From what I read, it is a bad thing to have but how to catch the crafty bugger? It sees me as soon as I come near the tank and hides away. Now, I am very reluctant to taking out the rock itself cos it took me ages to arrange them the way I like it and so they fit firmly. What am I to do? Is there a way of catching this beast?

PLZ HELP! :)))

I just had the same experience. We got mixed views on letting the little bugger live in the tank. I was not worried until the cost of the live stock kept getting higher. :unsure: We decided to remove ours, and happened to get lucky and it was on a piece of rock that we were moving. I have heard that baiting a glass or plastic bottle with food and then waiting for the crab to go in works well... Good luck and keep us posted if you got it out.

Little devils have been caught!!!

Just as I finished writing here, I went to the tank to watch it a little more before the lights go out and I got a glimpse of hairy legs in one of the stones. After reading about Eriphia, I figured better now than later and went at it. I decided to take the rock it was hiding in out of the tank and poke it out. Well, I managed it only to find it was not eriphia at all but something else which I photographed and you can see it on the pic below. BTW, if anyone has any idea what it it, I would appreciate the info. All of the crabs are separated and are going to my friends refugium tomorrow. If it is a good crab, I still might keep it -_-

To continue with my adventure... As I was returning the rock, I just couldn't make the previous setup again so I moved another rock and there the bstard was, running for his life under a small piece of rock I use as an arch. Heh, I caught it along with the crab with a net and took the bugger out. This one was for real. Happy as a clam that I got the real crab, I was about to take a photo when I glimsed ANOTHER one on a rock that can easily be taken out and that is what I did! So, tonight I caught three cursed crabs and I only hope the tank is now pest free. I do have a pistolero in there (I can hear him all the time) but he is not much trouble plus I only saw it after it darted out of a brand new piece of live rock and never again.

Here are the pics:

post-27390-1176163726_thumb.jpg

post-27390-1176163744_thumb.jpg

What an exciting night!

Congrats on your success!

(Even though you're probably right to remove them, it's kinda hard not to think "poor crabs." It's not their fault their evolution resulted in habits that don't fit with keeping reef-tanks...Makes me glad I never got them as hitchers...though they're apparently easier to get rid of than flatworms, which I DID get! :angry: )

--Diane

Archived