Cultivated Reef

Bubbles or no bubbles?

SuperflyFanatic

SuperflyFanatic

I have two powerheads, one that is a static Penguin that just has one setting and the air tube to adjust the bubbles it puts out, and another that has a rotating head but no bubbles.

I know the bubbles add oxygen and probably help with the exchange of CO2 and break the water surface, but, is there any real concern over not having any bubbles?

Both powerheads are aimed so they break the water surface, even with no bubbles. Is that enough to do what's needed?

You don't want to use the venturi. Microbubbles can irritate coral tussie, and they look like chit. If you can make the surface choppy your O2 levels will be fine.

duckhuntboy

agreeing with satch. Ex the venturi system. Your o2 will be good with some water changes, and you dont want that ###### floating all over your tank.

Brooklyn Johnny

Air bubbles bad. Once in a while my Minijets start sucking air and it causes many of my corals to slime and stress, especially my Turbinaria...

SeaMountain

Speaking of bubbles...

In the early evening I seem to get a bubble explosion in my 10g.

PH's start sucking in air bubbles which accumulate on them and then spit them back out into a hundreds of micro-bubbles. Then they attach to the microalgae, LR and sand. Which then of course, starts the cycle all over again by collecting, rising and getting blown around some more. ???

After lights go out, it ceases. Right now I have lights coming on at 3pm and off at 9pm to help reduce algae and give the clean up crew a chance to get on top of things.

No corals yet. But did add a yellowtail damsel this weekend at the prompting of my girlfriend. Tank is just over 5 weeks old. 22lbs LR. 22lbs Arag-alive. Phosph. 0. Ammonia 0. Nitrites 0. Nitrates <10. PH 8.4.

Rest of the time the tank is clear. Has anyone else had this ocurr?

freakaccident

No comment on the bubbles but you should expect the damsel to be a permanent resident. The only way you will ever get him out of the tank is to take all the rocks out or get something that will eat him.

SeaMountain

Permanent, huh? :D

Hmmmmm... Maybe my girlfriend was being a little devious when she wanted "one of THOSE! for my tank!

Actually I never thought of that freak. But if you were to have seen the devastation the LFS tank went through to net it... I can understand where you're coming from!

This thing was not only fast, but crafty. LFS Guy ended up knocking all of his rockwork to the bottom. Even pulled out some deco coral which rose up in the middle of the tank too.

Yeah... No doubt 'Bubba' - gf named him - is going tobe with me for a long while!

He's only been in there since Saturday afternoon and he is developing quite the personality. He's gone from hiding in all the nooks and crannies to following me back and forth along the front glass as I pass by. Loves his veggie flakes too!

Thanks for the tip freak. I'll learn to love him long after she's gone! B)

freakaccident

I went through the hell of catching a damsel in my 10g a year or so ago. I had to remove all of the rocks and wait for the dust to settle. I should have just started another tank and left him be.

I had to pull every piece of live rock from my 7 gal bow to get out the 4 damsels that came with it. Actually I only netted 3. One hid in a crevice and almost went back into the tank, (crafty devil.)

After much work, I'm damsel free and the bioload of my tank is much reduced. The damsels in my tank, notice I didn't say my damsels, were very aggressive.

Cami

Archived