Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

aging xenia issues

chufa

my old xenia colonies have stopped growing, and have darkened somewhat over time. Some are slowly shrinking. Initially, they grew like weeds, and were of a lighter (almost white) color. Now they are light brown.

Curiously, some colonies are arising from some tissue that broke off some days ago. These ones are growing and spreading very fast like a weed, and are white in color, like the other colonies did in the beginning. Interesting...???

I wonder what's going on? Is there some sort of aging thing going on in the older colonies? Anybody experienced something like this, or have an explanation?

I have noticed that all my xenia when placed low in a tank will grow rapidly upward, climbing the rock to get to the light and spreading as it does so. When it reaches the top and can not go up anymore, it tends to slow down with the reproduction drastically. However, if a PH is pointed at it and the branches tend to hit the LR, it will continue to spread that way. Try more flow and or more light and they will quickly spread again.

OxInYourBox

I agree with Liquid. I have witnessed this quite a few times in my 10G tank. I have some short stalks of xenia right under the waters surface that spread out and can't go any higher and I have some other stalks on the bottom of the tank which are very tall (4" or more) and they have a power head that blows on them every 20 seconds...

Mine grew like a weed for months, then when I went on vacation and came back it was all shrunken down, and had turned dark. Check the water, the light timer, did a water change. Nothing wrong, and it wasn't doing any better. Well after 3 weeks or so I could see where it was splitting off. One arm layed down and attached to a rock on the bottom of the tank, and another just kind of tore itself in the middle. It hasn't finished yet, but it is already starting to perk up again.

Archived