SaltCritters.com

mantis or pistol?

burnah

i have a clicking shrimp in my tank who does this only at night. the clicks dont come in bulk, only single ones. ive never been able to spot it although i must have had it for more than a year and the tank is not that big... couple of hermits are MIA but that doesnt happen very often..

would like to know if there is a chance to say wether mantis click only at night and if so, what the best way would be to spot the shrimp!

thanks in advance, martin!

could be a heater, pistol, manits or snail in front of a powerhead. those are the scenarios ive come accross.

as for spotting the thing: stake out. beer helps. just sit in fron of the tank and watch one night and one day to see if you find the thing. chances are that even if it is a mantis (doubt it) it isn't big enough to do any damage. hasn't so far has it?

edit: to answer your question, no. pistols and mantids click. period. they don't have any set pattern

i have a clicking shrimp in my tank who does this only at night. the clicks dont come in bulk, only single ones. ive never been able to spot it although i must have had it for more than a year and the tank is not that big... couple of hermits are MIA but that doesnt happen very often..

would like to know if there is a chance to say wether mantis click only at night and if so, what the best way would be to spot the shrimp!

thanks in advance, martin!

Saw pistol shrimp on Most Extreme the other week and this is a quote "It has a specialized claw that generates noise over 200 decibels. This is enough to kill small fish and break glass almost 1.8 meters away." thats just crazy, It releases a sonic boom underwater. I wonder how it builds up the water energy in such a small package.

Saw pistol shrimp on Most Extreme the other week and this is a quote "It has a specialized claw that generates noise over 200 decibels. This is enough to kill small fish and break glass almost 1.8 meters away." thats just crazy, It releases a sonic boom underwater. I wonder how it builds up the water energy in such a small package.

pistols can't break glass 1.8m away. that is ridiculous.

mantids and pistols do sort of the same thing to make the clicking noise, like trav already said, they are able to move their parts so fast that the water in front of the part essentially vaporizes (water moves so fast is creates a vacuum). this vaporized water forms a "cavitation" bubble (same thing that pits boat propellers). this bubble collapses and releases tremendous amounts of heat and sound and a flash of light.

mantids use their raptorial appendages to do this. pistols use their oversized claw and shut it really fast.

there have been missing hermits and snails but that didnt happen often, like 5 in half a year. i have no heater which could click. clicking only occurs at night or in the periods before and after the dark period.

never saw anything, but my liverock hast tons of tunnels. i had a pistol once but he was clicking ALL the time, so im kinda worried because i dont hear much when the lights are on. the shrimp seems to be very small cause its so hard to spot and the missing hermits were usually the smallest ones..

thanks for your info!

• 4 weeks later...
STRINGCHEESE

ARE YOUR HERMITS FALLING AND THEIR SHELLS CLACKING AGAINST YOUR GLASS?

....sorry for caps, oops.

punk-o-rama

I had what i thought was a mantis for about 1 month but then one day i saw his molt laying on the bottom of the tank and it had a big claw on it. Then i started noticing burrows and by now i would have to say that his tunnel network rivals that of the vietcong. Another interesting fact is although sometimes he clicks in ones or twos a lot of the time he clicks in like 5 times in quicck succession.

Well thats just my experience my pistol so if i were i wouldn't rule anythingout until you actually get some concrete evidence. e.g stake out with a torch or mybe look for one of its molts.

when a mantid strikes, it can move so fast as to vacate the water on the area of the strike creating an air bubble B)

Actually it superheats the water, flashing it into air and light :)

Mdeth, nope, trav actullay had it right. when the mantis' club swings through the water and nears something to contact (like a shell) water in front of the arm is moving at a drastically different speed than the surrouding water. this difference in water pressure causes the water to vaporize and cause a bubble (cavitation). when the club stops moving, the pressure equalizes, the bubble collapses and the heat/light are both side effects.

I thought the cavatation was due to heating :(

Oh well :P

I watched that video too...amazing!

I picked up an assortment of things from a guy taking down his tank, and he threw in a tiger pistol shrimp at the last moment. At first I thought I had a mantis from some of the rock, but then I remembered he gave me a pistol.

Do you notice burrows in your sand? mine has been digging out the entirety of the underside of my rock to form some sort of mansion for himself and his buddy the emerald crab (they live together for some reason)

forrestp38829

Very, and I mean very few mantis species are nocturnal. Almost all are Diurnal.

Doesnt sound like either to me. Could be pistol, I guess.

Helfrichs Chick

I have the exact same thing. Once in a while I hear mine in the daytime. I am pretty sure mines a pistol, as when I was dipping a zoa rock I saw him for a split second. Thought he would die from the dip but still in there. Doesnt seem to bug anything at all, so I leave him be. Good luck getting a glimpse of him lol.

yup, general rule is that mantids are diurnal, but it isn't uncommon at all to hear a mantis click at night. my G. smithii does it all the time... sometimes i wonder if he and the hermits don't stay up late for house parties once in a while when im not around...

Archived