Innovative Marine Aquariums

JBJ PicoTope VS. Tom Deco 3 gallon - Which is better?

saltman123

I was wondering if there are any big differences between the JBJ PicoTop and the Tom Deco 3 gallon aquarium.

Both seem to be used by a lot of people.

Are they both the same pretty much, or does anyone highly recommend one over the next?

the tom's has better lighting and filtration. i used it and i still have the lights and filter on a 5.5 gallon and it is doing great. i would highly recommend the tom's kit its pushing 6 watts per gallon with a filter that can do up to 10 gallons. i liked it a lot before i went up to the 5.5 with the same parts.

triggerfreak

Both about the same. I looked at both went i wanted a pico. I went with the jbj because of it being a glass tank. The small acrylic ones scratch to easy. I had a 5 gallon mini bow and it scratched to easily. I have not had a problem with my jbj picotope yet.

I'd say Picotope. Yes, it has only 9W and the filter is 40GPH vs the deco 18W and 80 GPH BUT the picotope is made of cristal wich won't scratch easy. Looks very nice. I made the same thread you did and finally bought the JBJ and a Micro-Jet for extra flow.

I have one of each setup with freshwater, the picotope is the nicer of the two. The light on the deco kit is brighter but kinda wobbly and flimsy. Also I don't think you can change the bulb, it is attached with some black adhesive (I'm guessing to keep moisture out of the fixture).

Picotope:

9w light, with a reflector, solid mount, on/off switch on the mount.

glass

smaller filter, less flow, tinted brown (less algae)

open top

Tom Deco kit:

18w (straight pin) no reflector, wobbly stand, bulb not replaceable (I've even taken apart the fixture), on/off switch on cord.

Has a top (great for keeping the betta from jumping)

bigger filter, clear plastic filter (might have algae problems later on), lots of flow.

acrylic

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Seeing that the picotope isn't acrylic really makes me want it. However I like that the Tom has more lighting. Guess i'll see what the price is like and if I can get one for much less, that will make my decision easy:)

Does anyone have a footprint for the Tom Aquatic? The 3 gal picotope is listed on marinedepot, and it looks to be roughly the size of a sheet of paper. That's a decent size.

Also something I need to consider is the noise. I suspect if I keep my water level high enough there won't be any from the filter.

One other question: if I keep up with water changes, is there a real need for a filter? I understand the benefits and am still leaning towards using the filter, but if I use a PH in the tank, would the gas exchange from just surface movement be enough? The ONLY reason I would consider not using a filter is for the remote possibility that somehow water begins to creep out. I figure if I can contain everything within the boundaries of the tank itself, that's not likely. I've been keeping fish with HOBs long enough to realize this is a very very slim possibility, but call me overly cautious. :)

-j

The biggest difference is a glass tank vs. an acrylic one. The JBJ is glass, while the TOM is acrylic. Another significant difference is lighting: The JBJ comes with a 9W 50/50 (Half Blue/Half 10K)compact fluorescent, while the TOM comes with a 18w 50/50 14K and 7400K lamp. As far as filtration goes, the JBJ's pump is rated at 40 GPH, while the TOM pump is rated at 80 GPH.

IMO, the only positive thing about the JBJ is that it's glass. Other than that, the TOM has much nicer components.

Yes, you're definitely going to need a filter. Even if you do weekly water changes you'll want to have a filter (you're doing weekly cleaning, while it's cleaning 24/7). Also, you'll want a filter just for the flow that it provides.

on a side note, the TOM tanks come with an acrylic top that pretty much covers the whole surface, aside from notches for the light and filter (and a small finger hole for feeding and/or lid removal). you don't have to use the lid, but it does come with one.

Which has a whiter stock light? Not yellow, but not blue either. Something that will really bring out the brilliant colors I plan to keep in there. Sounds like the JBJ is easier to change as well.

I do like the idea that the TOM has a top. That is kind of handy for several reasons.

-j

first off i dont have either... but you could always go to home depot or lowes and get some acrylic and make a top...

i had an acrylic tank and it was a pain and looked crummy cause of all the scratches it got on it... glass from now on for me

you can upgrade the lighting on both of these for like 25 bucks, which i think would be worth it

I have the Toms deco 2gal, I replaced the light with a 12" Current Satellite PC 18W. The light that came with it was very wooblie. The stock filter is pretty good, I can get 80gph flow from it.

atmmachine816

I agree with the acylic, had a mini-bow 2.5 and it scratched really easily and got annoying. You are probably going to upgrade the lights eaither way it sounds like so I'd go with the glass tank.

just got my jbj pico and agree with cruisaire you could always upgrade later. There has been great outcomes with stock equipment but its all up to personal preferenc. I like glass vs acrylic and I want more than 18watts anyway so I went with jbj pico. just my .02

Wunderbar! Get a nice little power head in it to move the water around. There are a few tiny ones that fit perfectly and work well in a JBJ Pico. You're gonna like an office reef a lot, guaranteed!

Archived