Top Shelf Aquatics

Lighting upgrade question

Ike

I'm toying with the idea of upgrading my current lighting situation.

Right noy I'm using a 2x55watt bright kit from AHSupply. Running a 10,000k and an actinic blue.

It works well and stays cool with the fan I have installed in the hood.

Here's my dilema. Do I add another 55watt bright kit running a 10,000K for a total of 165watts of PC light; or do I invest in a 10,000K 150watt HQI system & use the 2x55 PC setup to run actinic bulbs?

Has anyone done either of these? If so what success/failures have you experienced?

I was leaning towards the HQI system, but after seeing Brooklyn Johnny's tank I just can't seen to justify the additional cost anymore.

This system will be run on a 15 gallon with @ 30lbs Fiji/Tongs mix & a 3" oolite sand bed. I also have a 10 gallon sump/refugium & skim with a Prizm.

I use only RO/DI water. Water chemistry is good, I'm just working on getting my calcium up to @400. Right now it's @380 as tested with a Salifert kit.

It's a little over a month old now & doing pretty well. Had a bloom of hair algae, but it's begining to die back/be eaten. So far the only inhabitants are my clean-up crew. But I have the opportunity to get free frags of more species of soft, lps and sps corals than I can wrap my brain around right now.

My goal is to first make sure that everything is healthy & second to get as much color & growth as possible.

Any suggestions welcome.

Ike

I was contemplating the addition of another 65w to my 2x65w setup. Then I realized the cost and wattage...now I have a 10,000K reefsun MH (175watt) fixture over my 20H. It is much better light and actually helps the tank stay cooler with the open top. I bought the reefsun, with electronic ballast, for $200 at pet solutions.

Archived