Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

how to calculate light reqs?

cuteios

What is the formula to determine the amount of light that your tank would generally require?

I'm considering putting 2x 11W PC bulbs in my DIY hood for my planned 5 gal tank. Each bulb would have a per bulb light output of 75W. I know everyone uses the 13W bulbs but I'm not able to get stuff from the online stores at present so have to make do with what I can get at the local Ace Hardware outlet. So would my 2 11W bulbs be enough light you think?

cuteios

Intensity-wise, that would be sufficient for corals require light to medium light. However, the bulbs you find at Ace are of the completely wrong spectrum. Some corals can grow under them, but not well, and not near as well as algae will.

Where in the Philippines are you? There are certainly places in that country where you can buy aquarium lighting. Granted, they're probably all in Manila, so if you're not local, you'd probably still have to order, but at least it's not an international order.

I just checked with a friend of mine who used to do collection in that country. He suggested looking for a store called Biolife in Pasig - Manila. Last time he was there (5 years ago), it was a very good store, and they did ship things, too.

Thanks MKramer!

Well I live in Cavite City which is on the other side of manila bay from manila itself. it's a 30 minute ferry to the city. quite an easy commute really. I've just been checking out the stores around the area and haven't venture towards the city and it's larger selection of stores yet. I'll try to find the place...it might still be around.

MiniMasterFlash

What exactly do you mean when you say each bulb will have a 75 watt output? 2x11 PC will only be 22 watts of light. Which should be ok, I would try to get a 50/50 (Actnic/10000K) bulb for a good light spectrum range. Also if you can, get as much light as you can fit in there, 30-50 watts wouldn't be too much. And it will probally save you in the long run if you decide to upgrade or add higher light req corals.

Originally posted by MiniMasterFlash

What exactly do you mean when you say each bulb will have a 75 watt output?  

The typical PC bulbs sold by hardware stores are for replacing the incandescents in your home. So they're marked with what power bulb they match in light intensity. The 9W PCs are rated as a 60W replacement, the 11W as a 75W replacement. I imagine this is where cuteios was getting the number.

Archived