Cultivated Reef

MH question

JTrigger

Never had MHs myself, but was considering getting them for a new 55 in the future. Was just wondering... I realize there's always a concern with the amount of heat being given off, etc... but do ALL MH setups (including the setups with fluorescents) have to be used in a pendulum style... ?

"do they need to be pendulum style ?"

Although its a tad hard to answer from this end (uk) i will try.

You should be able to get wall mounting brackets for m/h, you will have to shop around a bit, to find a m/h to allow these brackets and also the brackets.

1) Now, wall brackets don't really mean wall brackets, as you could build a canopy for your tank, and screw these to it.

2) Or leave it, and buy pendulum ceiling mount types, and try to adapt them to fit wall brackets, then mount them in your hood.

Just remember the spacing between the water and the light, so it may be an idea to use suggestion 2, then at least you'll have some small adjustment.

I know that aqua medic do them here, its just wether you can get them there.

I do appologise if ive read your enquiry wrong, hopefully this is ok though.

cheers

lee

:) :) :) :)

Trigger,

Go down to your local lighting supply house...buy a PFO base+reflector combo (usually runs around $50), and then mount it..connect it to your ballast...plug it in and BANG..light! Easy as that...

Heat is a HUGE ISSUE with them. as well as how high they are from the waters surface. You want themat a minimum of 9 inches from the waters surface. As well you must have some sort of splash gaurd and or UV sheilding.

Fans mounted on or in what every your style of canopy is going to be is also a must. These bulbs get SUPER HOT. Wheather it is a pendant style or a traditional canopy you need to install a fan.

Archived