inTank Media Baskets

Filter?

beachsidejuj

beachsidejuj

I am going to replace my Eclipse 12g hood, lighting and filtering...going with Coralife 96 watt....I need info on filters for my tank...I really like the slimline look of my tank now and really don't want a HOB filter that sticks up about the light!!!! Does anyone have any sugestions?

beachsidejuj

yeah I was looking at them but like I said they stick up about the line of the tank ...I was wondering if there was one that didn't...also what about internal filters?

Aquaclear from Hagen.

Yeah for Saltwater AquaClears are your best option. Very easy to add chemical media to if you wan't to, and if you decide you want a Refugium, their easy to convert.

Scott Riemer

You said you didn't want it to stick up above the light, mine doesn't on my FW tank.

I really like the slimline look of my tank now and really don't want a HOB filter that sticks up about the light!!!! Does anyone have any sugestions?
beachsidejuj
any filter will come up over the lip of the tank. why not go with powerheads or internal pumps for flow?

I do have one PH it is AQ 124gph....you mean I can use just powerheads with my LR & LS??

Scott Riemer

I wouldn't waste my money on the mini(or 20). I'd get a 70. You can turn the flow control all the way down to 100 gph. Plus it is bigger so you have more options if you decide to modify it later.

I do have one PH it is AQ 124gph....you mean I can use just powerheads with my LR & LS??

You can. But if you want something to help with mechanical filtration, you'll need a HOB.

You can also make it into a small refugium later.

beachsidejuj
You said you didn't want it to stick up above the light, mine doesn't on my FW tank.

Scott..what kind of light do you have? I think my light is only 2 1/2 inches high!

beachsidejuj
I wouldn't waste my money on the mini(or 20). I'd get a 70. You can turn the flow control all the way down to 100 gph. Plus it is bigger so you have more options if you decide to modify it later.

You can. But if you want something to help with mechanical filtration, you'll need a HOB.

Ok if i decide to go with just PH and LR, LS...how many PH should I have in a 12 g reef tank?

Scott Riemer
Ok if i decide to go with just PH and LR, LS...how many PH should I have in a 12 g reef tank?

Depends on what you are planning on keeping. some corals like more flow than others. I personally wouldn't go with less than 10-15X turn-over.

Scott..what kind of light do you have? I think my light is only 2 1/2 inches high!

It's just a standard "strip" flourescent light. The HOB doesn't stick up much. I can't measure at the moment because I'm not at home.

beachsidejuj
Depends on what you are planning on keeping. some corals like more flow than others. I personally wouldn't go with less than 10X turn-over.

Ok, like I said I have AQ 20 PH..which does 124 or 134gph....I want to keep whatever I can with the light I have...which I think is anything..more to the point is I have to have something that will "fit" into the tank...

Scott Riemer

OK, well, you don't "need" a HOB. But, if you "want" added flexibility (mechanical filtration), I'm just trying to suggest something that will be useful into the future (tank upgrade, refugium mod, etc.).

beachsidejuj
OK, well, you don't "need" a HOB. But, if you "want" added flexibility (mechanical filtration), I'm just trying to suggest something that will be useful into the future (tank upgrade, refugium mod, etc.).

Ok soooo with a PH of 134gph would that be enough turn over??

Scott Riemer
Ok soooo with a PH of 134gph would that be enough turn over??

You can get by with it as a minimum , IMO. Although, you may want to consider adding a secondary powerhead, if you don't add the HOB. Personally, if I was going to run a single PH in there, I'd use a MJ900 @ 230gph. Or, at the very least, a MJ600 @ 160gph.

Honestly, I'm not sure why you're set against the HOB though. I just measured mine, it only goes 2 1/4" above the top of the tank. Having it would make your life a lot easier. If you ever need to filter particulate matter out of your tank, you can run some filter floss in it. If you need to use carbon, it drops right in. If you ever need a phosphate sponge, same thing. If you want to use chaeto, create a mini refugium out of it. You can't do that with a powerhead. But, it's your tank.

Archived