Innovative Marine Aquariums

The Fugly Tank

Masoch

The most obvious tradeable thing I have is the sea mat frag mounted on acrylic pictured above (it'd be easy to scrape off and mount on your own LR). Otherwise, I could set you up with a frag of the brown / green polyps if you can wait for one to grow out a while. A ricordea frag would be great! However, I'm a complete, total newb at shipping livestock, so the process might be an adventure.

Drop me a line if you're interested.

I have a fugly 20 similar to yours, only instead of hair algae it's got the good old red flatworms. You syphon out ten, the next day there are 50 in their place

I love the astrea with the pink coraline and 'fro! I've got a margarita with about 10 tiny red tube worms on it's shell.

Give us an upated full tank shot. ;)

I just wish more people would stand up and show their aesthetically challenged tanks. But I will say, I would far rather have hair algae than icky, icky flatworms. At least I have an urchin for the hair algae. Although he mostly likes coralline ... and he's gonna be a PITA to move into a bigger tank.

As for snails with 'fros ... I'll try and snag a pic of Undercover Brother. He's covered in inch long hair algae; I've caught him listening to the P-Funk. And I'll work on the full tank shot, but that might mean I'd have to clean the glass.

littlereefer

My tank is fugly as well. I would send a picture but don't have a camera to take the picture. Suffice it to say that the most common question is why on earth did you put that rock there.

I'm a programmer, I don't make things look nice I make them work.

Tony

Well Masoch, looks like I won the bet... thx

So you think you have algae problems? Here's a shot of my fav fish. You can clearly see the dozens of varieties of algae surrounding him.

Note: The pretty pink one is especially vile and nasty. It's impossible to get rid of, as it falls apart when you touch it, dispersing itself around the tank and regrowing wherever it lands. Still have not found anything that wants to eat it.

yoshi_new.jpg

Noel

Those acrylic plates, Im sorry to say - are PATENT PENDING! So you must cease and DESIST ASAP! Or I will be calling my lawyer!

Go ahead and try to sue me!

My wife actually is a patent attorney ;)

BTW -- fantastic idea. Even coralline growns on the plates.

Hehe :) Nah, I wouldn't sue anyone. Yeah, its a good way to frag corals. Yes, coralline grows very well on the plates! :D

Here's a side view for all the hair algae lovers ... without even a beautiful goby to make it look better.

Sorry for uglifying this otherwise beautiful forum :)

• 1 month later...

Funny you should mention that ... I added a lettuce nudibranch last week that's munching on the stuff like crazy. The algae's been in recession for a while, tho ... it's no longer cemented on, it's possible to brush it off.

I'll post some pics of some new goodies one of these days -- frogspawn, candycane, and some more 'shrooms.

Archived