Innovative Marine Aquariums

Feather Duster Acting Strange

rileyrayne

I've had a Hawaiian feather duster in my tank for about 2 months now and it has been healthy up until about 4-5 days ago when I noticed its feathers were a little bit shorter in length. Now today I saw the worm hanging about 1/2 inch out of its tube. I thought it was dead so I lightly touched it and it quickly snapped back into the tube, but it keeps hanging out until something touches it then it'll retreat.

My water parameters are all in line. I had been feeding phytofeast and frozen mysis/brine for the filterfeeders 3 sometimes 4 times a week, but about 2 weeks ago I cut back to once a week because of a small algae issue. The algae has been gone but I haven't upped said feeding. That's the only thing I can think of that's causing this. Any ideas?

I don't. Mine lost its feathers all together. It started growing a new head. Then I noticed that mine would do the same thing, it would start coming out of it's tube. As of last night, it came all the way out.

Can someone advise???

Mine came out completely and then hid for about a month. Now it's grown a new tube--like a cocoon. Pretty neat. If your water parameters are good and all other corals look good--just leave it alone. It will hopefully take care of itself.

Good luck :D

Archived