Pod Your Reef

Switched to Instant Ocean salt and...

chufa

I used Coralife salt in the past. My pH has always been on the low side. Oddly, even the freshly made saltwater measured a pH of 8.0 after sitting aerating overnight.

I finished the bag and decided to try Instant Ocean for a change. I read mostly good things about it here. After a couple of weeks of using it, the pH in my tank is up significantly, and so is the alk! Furthermore, the pH of the new saltwater stays at 8.4 even after aereating O/N.

The drawback from Instant Ocean is that it doesn't dissolve as fast and easy as Coralife, but since I aereate for a long time, that does not matter.

Ya never had any problems with IO - actualy if found it disolved very quickly for me, but i use a Large PH in the mix container.

Recent info on the net caused me to switch to Crystal Sea Marinemix, and the results have been mixed.. should have listened to our benafactor (Chris. M.) hear and stayed away from it.

at anyrate, in relation to PH, there are a number of buffer products on the market that are very cheap and effective, that you can use to supliment the buffer that's already incorporated into the salt mix when its manufactured. That way you can Tweek your water mix if things are to your liking.

Catspa- what do you mean by mixed results? I've been an IO guy, but I'm in on a bulk purchase for the bioassay formula of Crystal Sea (this after reading Ron Schmeck's research). I really hate to fix what isn't broke and I'm a little hesitant to switch salts like this, Dr. Ron and his urchin embryos be damned.

Interested to hear your experince with Marinemix. Chris didn't like it either?

BustytheSnowMaam

Chufa,

I have always used IO also with great results, IMO. One comment- I've noticed that if the salt is fresh, it dissolves quickly. I've bought IO that has obviously been at the store awhile (didn't realize til after I bought it) and it didn't dissolve nearly as well.

Tasha

I, too, like satchmo, have read Dr. Ron's Essay. I almost went out and bought the bioassay formula, Even though I have plenty IO. The article is pretty convincing that the Trace elements are way too high in IO. I would love to hear others expericences. It does make sense that "if it ain't broke don't fix it". It may be that there are so many people using IO and other similar brands that a good deal of aquacultured corals are so adjusted to it that even with gradual water changes the balance the corals are used to get all out of wack. Or it is even possible that some additives (kalk, Stronium, Iodine, KENT products) are not very compatible with the Bioassay formula. It seems there is an infinite number of variables.

LOL OMG..... REEFCRYSTALS iz teh best d00d ! LOL

this thread is full of........

lollerskatelolani.gif

look at the dates of SALT threads and post by myself....

Es Verdad Porque senor Espi Deice.... ;)

Senor ESPI:

I believe you were looking for the word Dicho. I don't quite see how this thread contains antiquated information simply because it reffers to salt. Your past thread does state anything about alkalinity levels. Just because Davey says so does not mean it's the truth. You could have been helpful and referenced your own post, which, by the way, was posted by Printerdown first, making you a bit behind the times(lollerskate). The wonderful study done by Hawaii Institue Cleary shows that the PH levels in IO are closest to Natural Sea water and that Reef Cystals have the farthest PH From it.

Chufa: Your PH Changed so much because Coralife has nearly a whole point higher PH level than does IO (9.17 vs. 8.35). Check out the info From PrinterDown's post on PH levels in different brands of salt. http://www.animalnetwork.com/fish2/aqfm/19...s/1/photo10.asp

Though I do not belive that any one specific study is %100 correct I think that the one The insitute of Hawaii has done is excellent. Also I think Reef Crystals Tend to have the Closest Trace Element levels to Natural Sea Water that does any other Brand, but the PH is Way off. Not too say that it is bad, it just what the study has shown. I think that if I had to chose I would, in general chose the one closest in make up to Natural Sea water.

Once again, Just my half a cent.

good points, and well posted.

Koodos.

Muy Bien ! todo se Reien Ja Ja Ja...

one minor point that I think you make abundantly clear though, and I am not knocking the study at all, but take this quote :

Just because Davey says so does not mean it's the truth.

replace my name with RONey and it serves a double point as too what I was trying to hint at.

thank you for making light of it . :happy:

as to the thread in mention, Yeah Printer and I were both on the same page, and I edited out a simultanious "salt" post as he covered it well, and I added to his thread. See the current one in advanced forum . HINT ; ahem....( asking for no drooling.... lol)

once a study comes out, its a race and the biggest name gets recognition, but Dr. Ron is a much nicer poster than I...... :woot: :blush: and carries more clout by far.

I'm just the biggest cookie crumb chunk floating in a cup of milk like the rest of ya.

I don't understand though, if Coralife has such a high pH, according to that study, why I was getting such low pH readings with it. Beats me.

Bacterial action.

its an acetic reaction.

I wouldn't worryabout it.

try a dif test kit, or try to increase O2 Saturation.

Muchas gracias Dave. But what would the bacteria be breaking down? If it is acetic, then the source must be organic, right? I don't think there should be so much organic stuff in the brand new saltwater to make such a big pH difference.

High CO2 levels in your source water will exhaust a lot of the buffers present in the salt mix, lowering alkalinity and dropping pH. That's why you should aerate the hell out of your water before mixing in the salt.

Acetic?

Archived