Cultivated Reef

hidden Pistol?

Alexraptor

Can Pistol shrimps, specifically Tiger Pistol shrimps stay hidden in the rockwork for months upon months never or rarley venturing out?

Some time last fall, i briefly had a snowflake moray, a stupid mistake that killed my Pistol.

After i got rid of it i bought a new tiger pistol, a juvi, saw him around a bit for a while, but then he just vanished, no trace of a body, no nothing, so i assumed him for dead.

Now ive now and then heard popping noises from time to time, but ive always just shrugged them off as the thermometer hitting the glass or a shell knocking against.

Now tonight i heard it as usual again, except now i had total overview of all my snails and the thermometer, as well as the hermits, the sound could not have been made from any of them. since there are no casualties it rules out mantis shirmps. logical conclusion would be a Pistol of some sort...

Now is it possible that my juvi tiger pistol actually still is alive and has managed to stay hidden all this time within the rockwork, even with me having turned the tank upside down a couple of times?

Yes.

I thought mine died 2 months ago and just saw it the other day. He lives under the largest piece of rock in my tank and when I scare him back in, he will pop out a few sconds later on the complete opposite end of the tank. Talk about tunnelwork. Sheesh.

Pinner Reef

Outside of the occasional overturning of frags I almost never see mine. Then there are days like yesturday when he comes out swipes a handful of frags then barracades himself within his burrow. :angry: Perfect timing no less. <_< The little bastage is next on the trading block. Now the only thing is... How to catch him. :huh:

Rant finished

-pinner

Koral krazy (reefer 365)

When you see large hills and shifts in the sand that weren't there before you'll know he's in there. :)

If you get him a goby you will see him more often. I used to see mine all the time before his orangespotted goby decided to look for greener pastures.

i got a pistol as a hitchhiker, i've had it for many months which include a tank move. I've never actually seen it in the flesh and trust me it's not for want of looking.

I hear it popping at night and i've seen a molt. That's it.

Archived