SaltCritters.com

Minimum needed for setup

mry

Hi all new here and glad I found this site...I have been reading books and surfing the net for some time and really want to set up a reef tank with a couple fasle percula clown fish, some corals, and cleaning shrimps ect. What I have been having a hard time figuring out is what is the minimum that I need. I keep reading differnet things. I want to get a tank about 15-20gal but not sure what filter as it would have LR & LS. I have seen at a lfs a Hex 5 eclipse set up that was very cool and simple (no heater, stock filter, upgraded bulbs) I can get eclipse stuff cheap....but if I do use the stock filter do I still need a powerhead? And I'm guessing no protien skimmer? If I should not use eclipse what is a good basic setup for a 15 to 20gal? then would need a good heater, and good lighting. any recomondations? thanks all...daniel

Hi Daniel -

I've just set up my first nano using a 20h tank with a cheap hob filter, an Aqua Clear 301 power head (which has lots of different water flow settings), a 75 watt visa-therm submersible heater and standard flourescent lights that came in the hood.

I have about 3/4" to 1" (approx 15 pounds) of aragonite sand seeded with 5 pounds of live sand. I have about 20 pounds of live rock and will be adding one last large 15 pound piece this week.

I have two tank-raised ocillaris clowns, one spotted hawk and one three-stripe damsel in isolation that I'm trading in this weekend (he's way to territorial). I'm looking to add a yellow watchman goby, a couple of pistol shrimp, some various cleaners, and a boxer crab in the next few weeks.

As far as corals go, I'm looking for some nice colored mushrooms and some button polyps. Everything I've seen locally is blah and half dead looking. All the nice specimens are in their 'show only' tank and not for sale. Figures.

Anyway, just take your time and don't rush into buying livestock right away. Don't feel like you have to use damsels to cycle your tank by the lfs.

Mine did and the $5 three-stripe I mentioned earlier killed about $40 worth of fish in 2 days. I had to remove all my rock to trap the booger.

They're hardy and will do the job, but unless you want a permanent territorial pain-in-the-neck, I'd let the live rock/sand do the cycling.

Good luck!

Alanna

coralreefengr

Absolute minimum:

Tank

Salt water

Biological Filtration (through live rock and live sand)

Current

Light

Temperature regulation as needed (heater, fans or both)

That's all I've got on mine.

WOW great advice coralreefengr, so concise. Did you actually read the question, or just the thread title?

Hello Mry, welcome. Don't forget quality test kits. Tank, You may be happier starting out with a 15-20. Salt water, yes make sure you use RO DI water and you will need a salinity tester. Biological filtration, well many also use mechanical filtration as well. Current, as to your QUESTION, The stock eclipse will make a small amount of current, and break the surface which will add oxygen to your water. But yes you will need a powerhead IMO, with a 20 2. Lighting is a very complex subject there are different types. MH, VHO, PC's, etc. The best way to decide is a combination of budget, what inhabitants you would like in your tank, size. Tempature regulator or heater (could also mean chiller, opposite of a heater). As I took the time to see where you live, you will need one. Do not be tempted to buy the cheap 5-10$ ones. There are countless stories about heaters getting stuck and cooking tanks, or failing and water temp plummeting. You will also need a thermometer, I advise against the sticker type, not acurate. Fans are used to cool the hood, water surface with certain types of lighting. There are specific forums for almost all of your question, spend some time reading the various threads. The DIY forums are also very helpful. In the members nano's section there are many eclipse tanks, you can see what others have done. At the top of the page you will see a small button that says "information" great info there to get you started. Also a flashing button that says "search" use that to get specific information. Also if you are debating what type, brand, levels, etc. check out the "polls" on the home page to see what others are doing. Again, welcome and best of luck

coralreefengr

Yes I did read the original post and thought my answer provided what the thread was asking for. The original post said "What I have been having a hard time figuring out is what is the minimum that I need. "

To clarify: Considering this member said they have been surfing around a bit, I didn't feel I needed to spell out the importance of quality equipment and how to use searches.

The list I provided did not include a skimmer or a filter...meaning you really don't *need* either of these to have a successful system. I figured anyone of average intellegence could, by deductive reasoning, conclude that omissions on the list were things that they *could* live without. There are also many ways to provide most of the things on the minimum list and many suppliers to purchase them from.

I know lots of people who do not test their water themselves. Many LFS provide this service free to their customer, that's why I didn't include this in the "minimums".

I would like to add one thing to the list I already posted and that is patience. Typically, only bad things happen quickly in this hobby and the sooner you learn that, the more you will enjoy your system.

I personally don't trust LFS tests, well not that I don't trust them exactly, but I feel better being sure. Job done right cliche. But I do agree with you that if one was going for the bare minimum that is a valid option.

coralreefengr

We actually have one LFS that uses really high dollar tests with pre-measured glass tubes and electronic readings. They also do commercial servicing and that may be the reason they spare no expense when testing water quality. The rest seem to use whatever they sell which of course varies from store to store. Guess you could always ask.

I personally test my own water unless I have an issue and am not finding any results. Then I go to the place that uses the high dollar test. Fortunately, their testing service is also free.

wow great advice...just what I was looking for...been out of town...I picked up a few more books on reef tanks....Hope to start my project soon...I'm in no hurry though and am still going to read up a lot more.....thanks all for the great advice I'll keep you all posted once I get it going.....thanks again all

well I got my tank....a little bigger than what I thought I was going to get..I got a 30gal oceonic cube tank...it fit the space I have pretty good..Now I have to research what heater, ect to get....well at least I am finaly started..

DSCN0001.jpg

Archived