Pod Your Reef

Scrunching Xenia

WillyWonka

WillyWonka

i've had a pulsing xenia for about 2 weeks now.  it wasnt the healthiest at the LFS but i've been taking good care of it and as of 2 days ago it was pulsing like crazy.  i did a water change today to lower some nitrates and the xenia was fine for about 3 hours after the change.  I look at it a few minutes ago and just about all the tentacles are all scrunched up and looking like they do when the lights are off in the tank.  about an hour after the water change i tested for everything and it seemed fine:

Ph= 8.3

temp= 80

Nitrates= 5-10

Nitrites= 0

Ammonia= 0

Alkalinity= 11dH

i've been adding calcium buffer which has trace elements = about 3ml a day

also iodine supplement = about 4 drops every 2 to 3 days

is this a certain behavioral pattern that they go through or is there something else i should test for?  little help please.  Thanks, WW

anthony812

My does that at times, especially when you move them or does the water changes...but they will soon come back to normal, try to feed it some DT and see what happens..my did the same thing today and i am worried..but after a little dose of the DT..it came back alive!  hahahah...

Ya, wouldn't worry about it, i've had mine for about two weeks to, and it periodically does that for one reason or another, wouldn't worry about it, unless its still doing that the next day, then i'd recheck everything.

be carefull with the iodine, if your doing proper water changes with your 12 i don't think its necessary to add it any more then once a week, or even less... but i'm no expert..

ps mine usualy dons't mind water changes, but i'm carfull to match the salinity and ph, and introduce the water by means of a fast siphone drip (takes about 30 minutes in total)

xenia%20001.jpg

do they do this?  

i say it's fine, they do that from time to time.  if they were looking bad from the fish store, try some supplemental feeding to help them along.  mine were barely pulsing when i first got them, but after a month now they are already spreading.  hth, good luck =)

My Alife 7

Mine do that ocassionally when I do a water change. They even scrunch up when I'm not doing a water change... it shouldn't be a problem.

Before my starfish ate all my Xenia, they would always pulse like mad.  But if I moved them or did a water change, they would shrivel up for a day or so.  Sometimes one bunch shrivels up for some reason while the other bunch is perfectly fine...I always used to think the pulsing hands must have caught something and was eating it...hehehe :)

Archived