Top Shelf Aquatics

percula heavy breathing

itsboosting

itsboosting

Hi all,

I have a pair of true perculas in my tank for about 4 weeks now, and they were fine. Water params were tested and they were okay. However, today when i fed the fishes, only 1 was eating while the other did not. He seemed to have a slight discoloration/wrinkle to the first white stripe closest to his head. The other fish is absolutely fine.

After searching for a bit, i've came across several threads that suggested a FW dip in case it was any internal parasites and so i did that for about 5 minutes and then put the fish back into the tank. Tried feeding it again, but still would not take any food. The fish swims and all, but isn't as active as the other percula in the tank. I noticed that the fish also breathes much more heavily when compared to the percula that is in great health. Can anyone help me pinpoint what the cause may be?

ps. I was overfeeding the tank before, and was instructed to slow down the feeding since i was having an outburst of red slime algae. So i went ahead and did a 10% waterchange on sunday, and kept my lights off for the past 3 days. I went ahead and did another 10% waterchange today as well and it seems like most of my slime algae are dying off.

Well, my initial thought was that maybe the water temperature is too high - but the other clown is unaffected. You may be correct with the assumption of a parasite - any more news to report?

itsboosting

I did a search on some forums, and saw FW dip from previous postings so i went and pu the sick percula in a FW dip. Put the little guy in there for 5-6 minutes and immediately placed him back in the display tank. He was out and about eating like a pig the very next day! :)

Archived