SaltCritters.com

sump to the side of tank? should i

andrewkw

yesterday i spent 3 and a half hours draining my sump so i could remove my skimmer and clean the pump inside it. The reason for this being my stand is very low and theres barely enough clearence for my skimmer. I was thinking above moving my sump to beside my tank and still below vs right under in the stand. Then I could also upgrade my skimmer.

What do you think? Worth the trouble or just deal with the drainage issue every 3-6 months? Another option would be to just switch to a reciculation skimmer and have that on the side of the tank. Putting the tank on a higher stand is not an option as I do not want to drain the display as everything is doing very well. When I upgrade in 3-5 years I will but for now the tank has to stay where it is.

I would get a new skimmer. One that you can hang on the sump or in the tank. It should probably be cleaned once a month at least anyway. To me...the extra $ for the skimmer would be worth not having to deal with all that.

I would get a new skimmer. One that you can hang on the sump or in the tank. It should probably be cleaned once a month at least anyway. To me...the extra $ for the skimmer would be worth not having to deal with all that.

Right now i'm running a deltec mce 600 in sump, to my knowledge there isn't a better hob made. It's rated 190 regular stocking 120 heavy. I'm getting closer and closer to heavy stocking with tons of lps and my total water volume is actually about 130-140 (display is 112).

The only skimmers i'm considering are:

Euro Reef RC-250 (i'd like the 500 but its just too much money)

or ati bubble master 200 this is a meshwheel skimmer which are apparently the future of skimming and its only 48cm high which is lower then the deltec sits.

If I move the sump I could get a Euro Reef RS 500 even as the non reciculating are much cheaper.

Archived