Coral Vue Hydros

Sexy Shrimp

avalanche1201

avalanche1201

So i got 3 sexy shrimp yesterday..I can only see two right now (not to suprised because of there size).

But ive got a few questions, will all 3 eventually hang out together almost all the time?

And the two I see are just chilling on my zoas and they wont open. Is this normal for them to dance on zoas and such? Or should I move them b/c there stressing it?

thanks

So i got 3 sexy shrimp yesterday..I can only see two right now (not to suprised because of there size).

But ive got a few questions, will all 3 eventually hang out together almost all the time?

And the two I see are just chilling on my zoas and they wont open. Is this normal for them to dance on zoas and such? Or should I move them b/c there stressing it?

thanks

Not sure if they'll hanging out together or not, but my sexy shrimp always chill on my zoos.

Thanks Kombucha..I hope they do, all three of them together yesterday was looking pretty sweet

yeah, they're pretty sweet looking, just keep an eye on them cause they can eat corals!

moonlightxpress825

thanks

sorry to break it to you. ime they will stay on your zoos and corals 99.9 of the time..

I don't know this from personal experience, but the corals should get habitated to the shrimp and remain open (unless the shrimp really do try to taste them...which I have never heard of before). the same thing happens when clownfish host a frogspawn or anenome.

Its pavlovian conditioning, only in reverse. Instead of dogs learning to salivate (a reflex) at the sound of the bell, the coral learns not to retract its polyps upon contact with a certain organism. Contact is typically followed by being damaged, but repeated trials of shrimp or fish contact without damaging consequences "extinguishes" the reflex to retract polps (for those shrimp).

firstimereefer

I have a trio of sexy shrimp and they never hang out together. They are always on my zoas too without causing damage, but not on the same colony at one time.

avalanche1201
I don't know this from personal experience, but the corals should get habitated to the shrimp and remain open (unless the shrimp really do try to taste them...which I have never heard of before). the same thing happens when clownfish host a frogspawn or anenome.

Its pavlovian conditioning, only in reverse. Instead of dogs learning to salivate (a reflex) at the sound of the bell, the coral learns not to retract its polyps upon contact with a certain organism. Contact is typically followed by being damaged, but repeated trials of shrimp or fish contact without damaging consequences "extinguishes" the reflex to retract polps (for those shrimp).

awesome, so I just gotta wait for them to learn..thats great news

Its pavlovian conditioning, only in reverse. Instead of dogs learning to salivate (a reflex) at the sound of the bell, the coral learns not to retract its polyps upon contact with a certain organism.

After i read this i started to shudder....

I have a psych test when i get back from spring break :mellow:

Anyways, yeah eventually the corals should stay open even when the shrimps are present. The only exception to this is if the shrimp(s) keep on switching corals so no particular one is being hosted therefore the corals would not get used to having shrimp walk on them.

Mine lives on the frog spawn.

It's been 1/2 closed since the sexy shrimp was put in. That was about 2 months ago.

I get a big kick out of, the way the shrimp gets all excited when the wrase come around. LOL

avalanche1201

yea the zoas or still opening and closing...not use to it yet...hoping to get a frogspawn they can move to or something, especially since i need more motion in my tank

Gotta warn you about sexy shrimp. When the host coral declines in health and has a few rotting polyps, the sexy will start munching on it. It will never give the coral a chance to recover.

bluebastion

I used to have 2, and I will be the first to tell you that they do pick at zoos in specific. I have seen one of mine actually pinch/claw hard multiple times at a healthy zoo polyp.... right in the center "eye". After that she was quarantined to my fuge for a couple months...

Helfrichs Chick

YEa its TOTALLY hit or miss. I have seen my 2 picking at Zoas. The male keeps his hands to himself most of the time, however the female is ALWAYS having babbies, (4 times now in the 2 months I have had them) and she will pick at ANYTHING. She has almost killed my neon orange plate, and I have seen her pulling of polyps of a acro frag. Unfortunatly the plate is now getting picked on by both, just like Duncan said, they will go after something if it starts to decline. I am thinking about getting rid of mine. Maybe just the female. Oh and feed them pellets, that seems to help lol. good luck

My sexy has been chillin on my 75+ polyp frag of brown zoos ever since i put him in my tank 3 weeks ago. I noticed this morning about 10 polyps look eaten/damaged. :angry: I'm thinking about getting rid of him. Just gotta to think of a way to catch him now :lol:

My sexy has been chillin on my 75+ polyp frag of brown zoos ever since i put him in my tank 3 weeks ago. I noticed this morning about 10 polyps look eaten/damaged. :angry: I'm thinking about getting rid of him. Just gotta to think of a way to catch him now :lol:

Dont worry, I have more of those zoas. :lol: Use a bamboo skewer, stab him. :lol:

Just wanna say my sexy feasted on my zoas 2 nights ago. I had to beat it with a chopstick to get it off the zoas.

I fed the sexy small bits of market prawn and it didn't touch my zoas again.

Zoas opened up last night. Got a bit of a torn skirt, but should recover.

Point is, feed your sexy regularly. They are shy eater and never get any food as I got a bunch of food snatchers (coralband and cleaner shrimps) inside the tank.

If you feed them well, and have a lot of corals, they shouldn’t focus on 1 colony. These shrimp usually eat the mucus off anemones. So they will pick at coral if they get hungry. The ones I have don’t do enough damage to be a threat to an entire colony of coral. A few polyps eaten here and there but the beauty of the shrimp is worth the loss imo.

Just wanna say my sexy feasted on my zoas 2 nights ago. I had to beat it with a chopstick to get it off the zoas.

:lol:

I have had 2 sexies for nearly 2 years in a 12 gal NC with zoas, toadstool, mushrooms, kenya tree (where they mostly hang), GSP, and button polyps. They have NEVER harmed any of them. I feed a variety of food to my clown and firefish. Perhaps you all need to feed more. :huh:

yankeereefer

Do your sexy shrimp remain visible (out in the open) or do they hide much? I was considering putting a couple in my tank (20H), but I don't want to spend the money and then never see them.

This happened with my fire shrimp - He only comes out during feeding

Yankee

I have had 2 sexies for nearly 2 years in a 12 gal NC with zoas, toadstool, mushrooms, kenya tree (where they mostly hang), GSP, and button polyps. They have NEVER harmed any of them. I feed a variety of food to my clown and firefish. Perhaps you all need to feed more. :huh:

I've only had mine for a week or so, I think. No problems yet, but I have plenty of pods in my tank and see the shrimp going after them, it's pretty cool to watch, they're very fast.

Do your sexy shrimp remain visible (out in the open) or do they hide much? I was considering putting a couple in my tank (20H), but I don't want to spend the money and then never see them.

This happened with my fire shrimp - He only comes out during feeding

Yankee

[/quote

Mine are out all the time, mostly hanging together but not always. I really have enjoyed them and other than getting stuck in my surface skimmer have found them to be no trouble.

I've only had mine for a week or so, I think. No problems yet, but I have plenty of pods in my tank and see the shrimp going after them, it's pretty cool to watch, they're very fast.

I, too, have loads of pods. Maybe thats why they don't bother anybody.

Archived