Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

84 degrees

fourtanks

My lights on my new 12g nano cube heat the water up to 84 degrees by the end of the day. I can't afford a chiller.

I read that I should raise my heater to close to this temp so that there aren't flucutations. What do you think?

Do other nano cube users have the same problem?

Does anyone have a successful reef at temps this high?

furelosfamily
My lights on my new 12g nano cube heat the water up to 84 degrees by the end of the day. I can't afford a chiller.

I read that I should raise my heater to close to this temp so that there aren't flucutations. What do you think?

Do other nano cube users have the same problem?

Does anyone have a successful reef at temps this high?

I was having the same issues!!

How long are you running your lights?

ProFlatlander15

My tank runs about 84 during the day, 81 at night. Algae growth is excessive, kinda annoying, and I think it stresses my corals a bit, but they acclimate pretty well.

I am running my lights 12 hours and am using the pump that came with it

I'll cut your photo period by 2-4 hours. I believe 8 hrs. is enough for a nano reef and it won't promote algae growth and excessive heat.

You might also want to try and open up vents in your hood and/or install another fan to dissipate the hot air.

chrisstankevitz

1. Cut light time to only 8 hours

2. Remove or permanently open the feeder lid (requires screwdriver)

3. Crack the main lid open a little bit.

all of us that have done MH mods to the stock hood use a scroll fan to move air across the surface of the water. i bet it would help in this case also. for 1.99 plus shipping it would be worth the try.

Scott Riemer

On my AP24, I cut my lights back to 9 hours and on warm days, leave the feeder door open. I've also replaced the stock pump. My temps are stable now at 79-80.

all of us that have done MH mods to the stock hood use a scroll fan to move air across the surface of the water. i bet it would help in this case also. for 1.99 plus shipping it would be worth the try.

What's a scroll fan?

Either raise the heater a little like you have been suggested, or invest in an ICA chiller from Nanotuners. They are only $90 + shipping. Great investment to cool down a few degrees.

Either raise the heater a little like you have been suggested, or invest in an ICA chiller from Nanotuners. They are only $90 + shipping. Great investment to cool down a few degrees.

Thanks for the recommendation. The ICA chiller looks really cool (no pun intended) I can't believe there is so much stuff available for nano reefs.

bonsai reefer
Thanks for the recommendation. The ICA chiller looks really cool (no pun intended) I can't believe there is so much stuff available for nano reefs.

I was getting temps from 84 to 86 with 2 t5's and a 70 mh got 2 ice probes on ebay for a total of 70 to put in to custom sump now with lights on for 10 hours a day the hottest it has gotten was 83

Here are a few things you can do to cut the temps and they are a cheap solution.

a. Cut the vents open on the top of the hood carefully off the tank using a dremel.

b. Replace the stock pump with an MJ900. That should take away about 2 to 3 degrees right there.

c. Drop your lighting time down to 8 hours a day for whites and 8.5 for actinics.

d. Move the tank to the basement or a cooler area of the house.

If these suggestions do not get your temperatures down then you MUST invest in a chiller of some sort. It's an expensive hobby first and foremost. People considering this hobby should be aware of this from the start. We are trying to save the reef. Not kill it due to ignorance. Not saying this is your case. Just telling people how it is.

The Stock pump is known to run hot. I ran my NC on a 12hr photo period for 2 years, and never went above 82, with a maxijet pump.

Archived