inTank Media Baskets

New 40Gal

Cyber

Hello,

Thank you.

Da specs:

Currently:

- 40+ pounds of LR.

- 30 pounds "ultra fine" sand. Looks so good if you have no damsels. Looks like battle field with smoke effect if you have damsels.

- 1x175W MH with IceCap ballast.

- Fluval 204 for carbon usage.

- CPR2 skimmer with surface skimmer and bubble trapper.

- 2 Powerheads.

Additives:

- B-Ionic 2 times per week for now. 10ml each time.

Future plan:

- Replace canopy and stand with nicer ones (already did the stand)

- Add 20gal sump

- Remove the powerheads and add powersweeps from ZooMed.

great looking tank

love the rock work

I'm about to convert my 40 gal to reef

couple of questions

1. On the lighting would you change anything?

more lights ( 2x175 or 1-250 mh )

can't decide waht to buy

2. about your LR did you have to break up any pieces to get the

look you have (very well proportioned ) or did you just pick

reallly carefully ?

How do you like the spread of the single MH over 3 ft? What type of reflector are you using? any plans of supplementing the lighting with some actinic?

Hello,

brownd1-

I would like to keep the 175W and get 2x36W actinic more for the dusk/dawn effect. For the rocks, the trick to make a nice rockscape is not to lay them on top of each others. Instead, lay them flat in front then stand them up as you go toward the back. Dont make a flat wall. By the way, 80% of the rocks I got free from people so there as no selection for me =(.

LakerFan-

175W MH is quite good for my purpose. I want some shade at both ends and intense in the middle. I use Aqualine 10K (actually it's 13K) and it has more blue in there than other 10K. So, nope, no plan for actinic for now. I have to think about the electric cost. I have 2 more reefs and 2 more fresh water tanks that I have to run.

Cyber

Hello,

I just replaced my old stand with a new DIY stand that I made. I also removed the canopy and made a wooden pendant instead. It looks slick. I'll put a sump in sometimes this week and it will look even better without the skimmer and heater hanging around. Livestock seems to be ok after the move.

Now, for all expert "fish trappers", how do I catch my blue tang from a 18H? That sucker always dash away when he sees me holding a net 10 feet away (er, to be exact...when I stand in front of the tank). I tried to feed them with one and and catch them with the other but no success. The ultimate move would be removing all the rocks and stuff to catch it :*(

Cyber

40gal-04.jpg

40gal-05.jpg

Looks great. How on earth did you switch stands. Did you just yank the old one out really really fast and then slip in the new one before the tank fell?

Yah, I put the new stand next to the old one, then pushed it real fast to replace the old one.

Hehe, no. I put corals in a 10Gal, LR in a rubber container then drained all the water, put more sand in it, switched the stand, attached the pendant, then put every thing back. Started at 9:00AM, finished at 11:00PM. Also had to wait for 3-4 hrs for the temperature to come up right.

Cyber

Archived