Pod Your Reef

Boxing crabs?

Rene

So...anyone have one of these? Apparently they're tiny little things, probably a bit smaller than a porcelin crab. They sound perfect for a nano, would probably pick at live rock like mad but are apparently "too small to do damage to other livestock". Yeah, yeah, that sounds nice, but is it true? I figure if I'm going to keep a crab that'll pick at my livestock, I'd rather have a pretty one that admittedly does nothing but look pretty than a hermit ;)

If anyone has experience with Lybia sp. please post!

coralreefengr

These are pretty cool. I've never seen them at my LFS, though. Sorry to say I don't have any experience, but I'm curios to see if someone else does.

CRE

deacon hemp

They may not pick at coral,but they are called boxing crab's for a reason they come with an anenome in each claw and could possibly sting inhabitants!just in case you don't know?

If you do a search in the members forum i saw a thread and someone here has 2 in there tank.you could pm him about details.

Thanks hemp, I'll look for it. And I know they do have anemones, but they're pretty tiny and from what I hear the crabs pretty much dissapear into the rockwork. So it seems like they probably wouldn't skip along dragging their little anemones over corals too often, but I don't know for sure. Which is why I want to ask someone who's had them.

Archived