ReefCleaners.org

I need prop tank advice.

jimmy595

Ok. So

I have this 10 gallon reef tank that is at my parents house. It has some softies in it right now, and has been having hair algae problems over the past few months, but I think Ive got that under control cuz last time I was there the hair algae had not grown at all, I just need to add some more cleaners. Here are the tank specs as of now:

80w orbit PC fixture

AC fuge

maxijet 600 or whatever its called

Live rock, and a fine crushed coral substrate

Some inverts, no fish

Now I was thinking of turning this into a prop tank this summer, ideas I had for this were:

1)ditch out on most of the substrate(maybe a small play pen for my nassarus snails?) to keep the tank cleaner.

2)Sell the PC light, and upg to a sunpod(70w or 150w????)

3)Install a nice egg crate rack

4) maybe move everything to a 15gallon(if so.. 70w or 150w????)

5) as of now my plans are to grow mostly zoos/palys **Just want them to grow as fast as possible**

Ok so any advice on 1-5 would be greatly appreciated.

upgrade to a 150 would be nice. but know that some palys or zoas like to have a little shade. So if it were me I would get the 15 gallon.. make an egg crate step thingymobob, add 150 w MH and place it to one side of the tank (far right or left) then put the light lovers up towards the light and the not so light loving beauties on the bottom opposite side of the light.

I think 150w would be overkill on a ten gallon with just softies. 70w MH or keep the 80w PC. I got good growth out of the orbit when I had it on my 24g AP. The ten gallon is not as deep, so growth would still be good.

Thx for the input

I also have a sunny window I could move the tank in front of. I could run the pc during the day when it's sunny for a little light boost, without encouraging algae(it doesnt seem to need much encouragement).

I think I will keep the 80w orbit on there for now, maybe add some sunshine for better gorwth rates, and I could use the money from selling frags to finance a sunpod down the road.

sephroth_r1

go for the 15 with a 150w. price difference is there, but you can actually drill a 15 without risking cracks as much as a 10.

i have the 70w now, and i will be upgrading to a 150 very soon.

I have a 70w on my 10g prop and its great for zoos and softies, but a 10g isnt big enough, I would go with the 15g and add the 150W. Then you can make shaded areas ect.

Id also take out all the substract, it gets kinda nasty in my prop tank at least so I removed it. I have mine connected to my reef so I dont need to worry about bio filtration, but I would add a HOB or Fuge with some LR

Definately take your time and build a nice egg crate rack, make sure its sturdy as well, its a pain when it starts breaking after a few months

Also remember to add some powerheads to get good flow, my palys and zoos love my spraybar I installed in my 10G

Good Luck

Archived