Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Removing/Lowering Nitrates

OntarioLiftie

OntarioLiftie

Does the product de*nitrate really work? and how good is Purigen. I am currently running a skimmer, carbon and doing regular water changes aka every other week and have a really bad nitrate problem in one of my tanks. The on i neglect with a moray eel in it and no skimmer has zero nitrates. Main question whats the easiest way to bring em down and what are your thoughts on those two products?

Does the product de*nitrate really work? and how good is Purigen. I am currently running a skimmer, carbon and doing regular water changes aka every other week and have a really bad nitrate problem in one of my tanks. The on i neglect with a moray eel in it and no skimmer has zero nitrates. Main question whats the easiest way to bring em down and what are your thoughts on those two products?

I had nitrates around the 35 mark and have got them down to under 10 in a month by using de*nitrate, water changes and a small bit of macro algae. Also bear in mind that carbon leaches phosphaes into the water thus I replaced my carbon with Purigen. Purigen is really good at clearing up the water but IMO not the best at removing nitrates.

Hope this helps

OntarioLiftie

Ok and this purigen, you really only buy once because you can renew it with bleach correct???? has anyone done this yet???? how well does it work???

Im no expert, but I have read, that Nitrates above 0 dont really matter that much, s long as its not in the 30+ range... Ive heard/read that sometimes people will have tanks that never really drop in nitrates, they just always have higher than 0 no matter what they do. Its the ammonia and nitrites that you have to worry about. Nitrates, in moderation, supposedly wont hurt anything (again, just what Ive read), as long as it doesnt get out of control.

If Im wrong anyone feel free to correct me!

Wow, this is an advanced topic?

Anyways, Nitrates in the range of 20 or so are not terrible. In a fish only (since you said nothing about your tank and I assume since you have an eel that it is a FO setup) you can have even higher. Waterchanges and feeding less are your best bet.

OntarioLiftie

Well the one with the high nitrates is a reef with few fish as in 4 fish 60 gallon. I have a mangrove and cheto. I also have 4 clams and acro all is doing fine just my nitrate reading of 30 is a tad wierd. Im also using a test kit with new chemicals. Everything is growing good its just i just want it to zero because im picky that way.

Deep live sand bed! 6 inches in a nanocube is feasible. :)

hahaha. I dunno. Macroalgae, things of that nature. I've never had a superbad nitrate problem, so I dunno.

Purigen doesn't remove Nitrates per se, it will absorb particles that eventually turn into Nitrates however.

Purigen does seems to work. I was always hovering around 10-15 ppm doing weekly 10% water changes (my bio-load is kinda high for a (14g) no skimmer set up) Been using it for about 4-5 months now, and always have less than 5 ppm or "non-detectable amounts" as of late. I still feed the tank the same, and do the same amount of water change. The effect was not immediate, but it has been atleast 2 months since I have had an issue there. I dont bleach the bags, I just buy a new one once it gets brown ( about 3 months or so). The box says it still works until it is dark brown or almost black. I dont push my luck with it, the $10 every 3-4 months is not that big a pop to me.

You already have a skimmer and carbon, so I wouldn't expect Purigen to produce any miracles for you. You may need to re-evaluate your bio-load or how much feeding you do in order to get into the 0-5ppm range.

Never tried de*nitrate before.

OntarioLiftie

ok so anyways another question with purigen what did you guys put it in i know a media bag but which brand. I have the ones used for aquaclean filters not very expensive but i put it in there and began rinsing it and some of the smaller tiny beads started rinsing right out of the bag. Any ideas?>

jamesnmandy

water changes with proper RO/DI water and proper care of the tank should come before chemicals, a properly cycled tank will take care of itself aside from the water changes, unless you add too much bioload at once, but again, it has to do with doing things properly

OntarioLiftie

ya my tanks been up for almost two years with 2lbs of live rock per every gallon of water. Also ive got 30+ times turn over for water circulation. So im doing things properly.

HecticDialectics

Locate the source of the nitrates. Bandaid fixes don't work well. If you're running a skimmer and still have a really bad nitrate problem, something is obviously wrong, and it's not your lack of purigen use.

jamesnmandy
Locate the source of the nitrates. Bandaid fixes don't work well. If you're running a skimmer and still have a really bad nitrate problem, something is obviously wrong, and it's not your lack of purigen use.

thats what i was implying, but hey....what do i know? i'm still new to this too :huh:

sounds to me like not enough bacteria to properly process the nitrates, but a proper skimmer should be getting out the junk before it gets a chance to form nitrates, at least mostly.....

SeeDemTails

Yeah, my clowns love vodka.

Seriously, get a new test kit, and then decied if your skimmer is working well on your tank. It sounds to me like it is lacking.

Archived