Coral Vue Hydros

Help ID this under my sand...

SeaMountain

SeaMountain

Toronto was up like a buh-zillion to 1 over Philly at the end of the Second Period, so I was watching my hermies do their thing on the algae and tumbling off the LR.

When movement in the Arag substrate caught my eye. I first looked for another hermie but none was there. Then I figured it must have been the water movement sweeping at a length of algae growing on the Aragonite.

Then it happened again! :o

Next thing I know I'm GLUED to this spot waiting for something to happen... When the aragonite granules start moving like Bugs Bunny was trying to pop through. All in all, maybe a surface area of about a dimes width raised up. But I saw nothing underneath.

There's roughly about a 2" deep bed of Arag-Alive. 22lbs of Fiji LR from LiveAquaria. It's been in there for a month and a half. I saw my first copepod this afternoon while home for lunch. Blue Legs, Red Legs and Astrea snails are all I have added.

After a few minutes of watching the spot I finally spotted this small tube sticking up through the bed. I snapped a quick pic, excuse the algae... the boyzz are working on it! ;)

Can someone tell me what I have here?

B)

I can't see a god damn thing! But if the tube looks like it is made out of the substrate and a thin "spaggetti" looking thing comes out of it, it is probably a spaggetti worm (harmless, actually helpfull)

harbingerofthefish

you got pile of rock with somethig more than likely harmless poking out. at this point I would go by the any life is good life theory,

• 4 weeks later...

your pic is kind of hard to see but if it looks like a tube sticking out with small thin tenacles of a type i agree probably a spagetti worm. theres 3 colors i know of white, orange, and pink heres a pic of one with all the tenacles out

spagetti worm

reefphreak

It appears to be nothing more than two litle red arrows. I wouldn't worry about them. They shouldn't bother anything. :)

Phreak

I'm curious to know if the windows of your shack in the woods have that much schmutz (yiddish word for crap) on them. Might I suggest a mag float or a razor blade to clear off the algae?

I agree that it is probably a spaghetti worm or possibly a small snail of some sort. I have so many spaghetti worms in my tank that I have them on the glass every morning. The ones I have don't appear to be large enough to make the substrate move tho. Have you tried moving the substrate to get a better view of the beast? That might also give you a clearer shot for a pic. And while you have your hand in the tank, get the algae off the frickin glass man.

BlackSumbel

-Sounds- like the siphon of some kind of snail. Try getting a really stinky peice of shrimp or something, then stick it in front of the tube with a pair of tongs. Make sure your hand isn't near it [1].

If it's a snail, it'll pop up out of the sand to have a snack. Then you can nab a piccie.

-Sumbel

[1] Precautionary measure. Some Cone snails can hitch in, and... well, cone snails are venomous.

Archived